My new to me 1910 AH Fox

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
GrousenFool

My new to me 1910 AH Fox

Post by GrousenFool »

I'm new to the forum but I've learned a lot from lurking. With this fine gun on it's way to me I figured it was time to join the party. I made arrrangements for payment and shipping today. According to the dealer listing:

A.H. FOX – A Grade, 12ga, 28" barrels choked IC/IM, round knob pistol grip stock, splinter forend, factory butt plate, double triggers, extractor, early 1910 Philadelphia gun, Krupp barrels, 85% bluing, wood finish, and checkering, 80% bright case coloring remaining, completely original and unmolested gun, finest example we have encountered, obtained locally.
14" x 1 3/4" x 3 1/4"
6 lbs., 14 oz.

Choked IC/IM it sounds like a GrousenFool's grousentool! Imagine, when this was manufactured the Titanic was still in her construction berth and Fenway Park was still two years away from opening!!! :shock:

P.S. I did the pix as attachments cuz I couldn't figure out how to use the image tag correctly. :roll:
Attachments
AH Fox Top Recvr.jpg
AH Fox Top Recvr.jpg (101.42 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
AH Fox Left Revcr.jpg
AH Fox Left Revcr.jpg (153.37 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
1910 AH Fox Right Side.jpg
1910 AH Fox Right Side.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
Best times & best guns,

Dave
vaturkey

Re: My new to me 1910 AH Fox

Post by vaturkey »

Nice old Fox. What is the drop at heel? Looks like quite a bit.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Grousenfool,

Your early A looks quite a bit like my early A pictured below. Mine has 28 inch barrels and choked IC and Full and nice shooting dimensions. I bought the gun in September of 1968 (that's a little more than 44 years ago) for $175 in northern PA. Serial number 7983.

What's the SN of your A?

They are real classics.

Jolly

dragon

Post by dragon »

jolly i have #8075
GrousenFool

Post by GrousenFool »

Jolly, I didn't ask about the serial #. I'll have to wait until it arrives I guess. $175 is a far cry from what I paid! :shock:

vaturkey, drop at heel is 3-1/4 according to the listing. I happen to like a good bit of drop so it's OK by me. :wink:

Best times & best guns,

Dave
Best times & best guns,

Dave
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Nice, honest looking Fox. Those gen-1 A's were built like a brick sh@#-house!! Welcome to the asylum Grousen. Since you already ordered the entree, might I suggest you add dessert in the form of a $30 membership. That will get you a FREE production card look-up on your new prize. It also let's you into the VIP room ( Member's Forum) where an incredible amount of Fox knowledge is on display. Think of it as your daily Fox lap dance!! Good luck with that "pa't-swatter."----TOOL
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
GrousenFool

Post by GrousenFool »

Tool Man, the check to AHFCA was in the mail before your post organized it's electrons! :P I'm looking forward to the good info once the grousentool is in my mitts. I'm not sure if it'll get here before the end of late grouse season (1/26 in these parts). if not I'll take my Browning 20 ga O/U (hope that doesn't generate any grief :roll: ) out a last time or two for the season.

Edit: the SN = 17141, a 1910 gun indeed! Also 2-5/8 chamber. Should be OK w/RST 2.5 in shells or my 2-3/4 trap loads (1oz., 1175 fps). I like the load for my grouse hunting also. Should be interesting to pattern it w/both loads.

Best times & best guns,

Dave
Best times & best guns,

Dave
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

BRAVO, grousenfool....welcome to the "ASYLUM."
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
GrousenFool

Post by GrousenFool »

Just rec'd the UPS notice - my 1910 A grade will be delivered to the local FFL on Monday! :D Unfortunately late grouse season ends this Saturday. :x Oh well, something to look forward to in the fall. :lol:

Best times & best guns,

Dave
Best times & best guns,

Dave
setterspell

Post by setterspell »

Congrats on the nice early A! Don't fret over the end of the Grouse season-the ones you'd see are the survivors and they will bear superior birds in the spring ensuring good gunning in the fall. Enjoy getting to know your new Fox by shouldering it (empty)and flipping the safety each and every day,that and some clays action thrown in, then by October it'll be as natural as a fork in your hands.
poldach

Post by poldach »

You might say that I am a "lurker" on this site as well. I am an owner of a AH FOX PATD AUG. 16, 1904 with Serial #103/ Side by Side with ejectors 12 GA. This gem was passed down to my father from his father to me. Still in very good condition, change would be the replaced butt plate with Remington Arms Co. Last time it was fired was in 1975. I also own a Model 57 Ithaca Pump 12 Ga. bottom ejector. I really did enjoy shooting the Fox, but thought it wise to retire it.

Hope you enjoy

Paul Oldach
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

With a Patent date of Aug 16, 1904, on the watertable, and a serial number of 103, that would be a Philadelphia Arms Co. Fox gun. Something like this --

Share the knowledge