Any news from Julia's????

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
TOOL MAN

Any news from Julia's????

Post by TOOL MAN »

I'm sure a few members attended Julia's auction today. Would love to hear at what price, the hammer fell, on the Eisenlohr # 35 CSE ???---TOOL MAN
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
FoxedChisels

Julias "Free Lunch" Oct 10 07.

Post by FoxedChisels »

The Corn Chowder & the Boston Beans and all the wonderful 'Cuts ' of several meats, were Delicious! Holland db Rifles 'Scratched up" by the Mainstays of the British Gunmaking Trade. Once again "The non Gunmakers Whos name always seems to 'Precede" the Gunmakers who Sweated their 'Grollies" to make the Canvas's for these "Artissssts" to do the Decorating on!!The Grifnee Carved .470 Nitro. Leather Covered Recoil Pad by 'A Former Purdey Stockmaker, now typing this "Report". Sold for 'A Mere Fraction of what would be the replacement cost in 2007..$130.000.oo(plus Julias $) The Rigby .577 Nitro,(Engraved and Gold Inlaid by my "Old Chum' from the days of 'Darkness & Doom", working inKells Old Shop in Soho,(London), was a 'Stand-Out piece of Craftsmanship of Riflemaking..the engraving was 'Breathtakingly Magnificent..Sold for $115.000.00. The Holland .577 Nitro.Carved withGame Scenes in Bulino,(Not to be Taken into the "Bush" for fear of 'A SCRATCH)Engraver. Phil Coggan. sold for $130.000.00. A major Dissapointment to (I'm Sure) The consignee was the Ansley H Fox Sr No 35. Did not make its Reserve......So maybe the 'Owner would like to Know I have the"Mate" No 121.Gold inlaid Trigger Guard by the same Engraver, For Ansleys 'Secretary',1906, Frank J, Barthmaier..Might make a Good Story for one of the Glossies!!We were all on the look-Out for the "Phantom'Bo Whoop'.......But once again, a NO Show!!!Julia will have all the Sale prices on the Web-Site by Friday..I'm sure...Trevallion/cc.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I wonder what #35 made it to before it "did not make reserve"? Speaking of old Bo Whoop, is there a picture of the actual gun in our files somewhere? We have been reading so much about the old ten pounder lately, but I don't remember whether there is actually a picture of #1 before the reputed recent restocking. I know there are very clear pictures of #2 and the gun is available for inspection. Tell us about #1.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Thanks for the update "Mr. T". As usual, your vibrant color commentary
would astound even the anchor desk at ESPN!! Not at all surprised at the fate of #35. Not sure what kind of hemp Julia was smoking, with their pre-auction estimate of 75-120K??? I know Eisenlohr was in the cigar business....but was he related to the Czar by any chance???.....LOL.
Keep those Sheffield chisels sharp!!----TOOL MAN
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
FoxedChisels

Post by FoxedChisels »

8b, I've 'Pulled" a couple of Photos from My Old Client George Bird Evans's Book.Purely for the "Lost,Poss.Stolen" Fox HE Property of the Late Nash Buckingham, Poster I want to print out....If I email them to you maybe you could Post them? You can see the Leather Boot that was on the Butt-End of "BO WOOP" What did GeorgeL say about the Leather Boot that was Laced on to the stock when he 'Threw it up to his Shoulder" If GL reads this , I've given him ample chances to correct my English''''Notice he did'nt care for my spelling of the word'Uncoud" That is the correct spelling of the word UNCOUD..English for "Gundealer speak with Forked Tongue"!!!!I would really like to see whats left of gun No31108......Foxed Chisels/dt
FoxedChisels

Post by FoxedChisels »

8b. If memory serves.......$60k.........I threw my$100 bill at JJ...It got a Rude comment.... But it started the Ball Rolling...I was hoping for the "Big Guns" to get it 'Up"....Maybe the Present Owner would like to make up "The Pair" No 35 & No 121.....I'll se if I can get Revdrew to post a pre-Sale Pic?Foxed Chisels/dt
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

DT, thanks for the pictures. Page 140 and 141 in "Old Miss" supposedly has pictures of #1 Bo Whoop and Nash's pump gun. "Old Miss" is a 1937 publication, so the gun should be in pretty good shape for the picture. My copy is missing these pages. Would someone look it up and post the picture? Thanks.
MARSHFELLOW

update

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

FoxedChisels, thanks for the report from Maine. Very interesting. Marshfellow
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
George Lander

"Bo-Whoop, Wup, Wop, etc."

Post by George Lander »

DT: No leather boot on Bo-Whoop when I threw it to my shoulder, Neither was there one on the broken buttstock (which was present as well). My woodsmith (excuse me, STOCKMAKER) friend felt that the broken one may not have been the original, for as he was told the original came from the factory with a pad. Both stocks were straight-gripped. For those who perhaps haven't read my earlier description the barrels of the gun were marked: "MADE FOR NASH BUCKINGHAM" on the right and "BY BURT BECKER" on the left in typical Fox lettering.

Best Regards, George
"Therefore, never send to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee"......John Donne
FoxedChisels

H>E>SUPER-FOX'BO WOOP"

Post by FoxedChisels »

Thank You George L,....Purdeys Oldest Living Stockmaker, In the U>S>A>.......David Trevallion.
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

Toolman I did not make the auction but I would also like to know what the M grade Single trap hammered down at? Paul
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Paul the M went for $31625. just over low estimate. The 16ga CE sold for $19550. more than double it's high estimate!!
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

$19K for a CE 16ga? I think that is a new price record by 30% from March earlier this year for a CE 16. Wow.

1928 CE Fox 16
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

Craig , I had the chance to purchase that M grade 5 years ago for 1k more! Im sure glad I passed on that one. On the other hand I passed up a Nice 16 bore CE awhile back at 5k I should have jumped on that. These Fox guns are hard to figure. It has been reported that only 9 M grades were made which I would consider pretty rare. The tables on page 145 of McINTOSH's book shows 305 CE 16 bore guns accounted for in the cards not real common but still not rare by any means. Paul
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

Per Mac's book there are less 16 ga CE Philly guns than 20 ga CE philly's. The book is not in front of me but memory says something like a little more than 200 from philly. Certainly not as rare as the 9 M grade traps but rare none the less.

The Julia's 16 CE is the first I have seen that is close to equal to the gun pictured in my signature line.

1928 CE Fox 16