Set up day at the Southern=Updated Day2

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
fox-admin
Site Admin

Set up day at the Southern=Updated Day2

Post by fox-admin »

I arrived with Anne about 2pm, the place was already buzzing. Silvers was on site and Foxist showed up soon after. Set up the booth and had a gab session going before the first beer was finished. About 3/4 of the booths were set up and about 1/2 the dealers present had their stuff out. All the regular were in attendance, so it was a good day. Morris Baker stopped by to show us his new purchases from Tulsa, eightbore came by to say hello and pick up a banner. The Parker boys were all around. A few Foxes around the normal shooter Sterlys and a few C's most have been posted on the Internet, no fresh Fox iron yet. Craig
MARSHFELLOW

Re: Set up day at the Southern

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

.....find a treasure Craig!!! (freezing up here by the way)

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

"April is the cruelest month......"

Yeah....I'll second that T.J. . Just in from turkey hunting, trying to thaw out the walnuts!! Unrelenting, 30 knot North wind......brutal.
My huntin' budd kept asking me if it was November, already? Hard freeze forecasted tonight. Send us some of that NC warmth, C-NOTE !!!
Please keep us posted on any interesting "Philly Iron" that surfaces.------TOOL
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Day two-----No iron for me today boys but a few interesting guns walked in. How about a almost mint 30" J Grade (99% colors)with a MC stock that letters WOW It had two loose rib posts but that's about it and maybe a re-blued top rib???. The owner was taking offers, I think he is looking for 10K (just my guess). One of us should have bought the XE 16 that fieldsport had, what a gun!! I can't believe it lasted so long. Other than that not to much------, the Galizan 410 RBL is to die for (good move Dave) and the Inverness is awesome. 82 and sunny today :)
Dave Sizmore your friends showed up and I got to speak with Neal Martin about his C grade, nice guys. Craig
LVAKA362

Re: Set up day at the Southern=Updated Day2

Post by LVAKA362 »

It was really great to meet all of you guy's today!!! I'm really glad Fox decided to come down and setup this year. You guy's gave us all some great infomation about our guns. See you again on Sunday. Maybe things will pickup on Saturday and some more good Fox's will come thru. Frank, thanks for all of your time today!!!
Alan
DSizemore

Post by DSizemore »

Craig....He called me this morning and I told him that I feared for his personal safety if he got around YOU with that gun. I'm glad to hear you two got together. He's a very nice guy and a good friend.....and he has a nice gun. Enjoy yourself down there.
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

I will stop by tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Neil
Student gunsmith
http://guns.claasen.us/
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanks Alan, I was glad to help and it was good to spend time with you and Mike.

More Fox iron from yesterday. XE 20 with Kautzky/rear, nice gun but barrels cut from 28 to 26", .002" negative choke in right barrel and +.006 in left. $16K negotiable. Many CE 12's including a 2 barrel set both 28". Condition range from shooters to collection quality. Early A grade 30" straight grip, original in shooter condition. Plenty of SW and A grade 12's, also smallbores including some ejector guns. That XE 16 with the dogs on the side panels, mentioned by Craig. Screamer gun. The gent told me $25K and he's not that interested in selling it. CE 16 converted to straight grip and with barrels cut 2". Decent conversion at something like 6K. So far I sold two guns and picked up a 12 ga AE Chromox barrel for a project, also bought a complete early 12 C grade ejector forend. Someone will need it.

Four of us tried out with Parkers for the Challenge. We had a Fox room party last night; good time by all. Beverages courtesy of Anne and Craig. Silvers
LVAKA362

Post by LVAKA362 »

Frank,

I sent you an email with directions with the most straight route from Sanford to I-77. All 4 lane road. You might want to share with the others. Hope you guys have a good day today and stay DRY!!! This route keeps you miles a way from Durham.

Alan
NeilC

Post by NeilC »

It was great to meet some of you today and put faces to the names. Thank you for the warm welcome!
Neil
Student gunsmith
http://guns.claasen.us/
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Agreed, it was so nice to see some of the southern Fox comrades, and meet new ones. Some interesting guns came in today and a few went home with members. Today member Timothy had a good honest first year A grade 12 with very nice wood that was f/s on our rack, 30 incher with heavy weight barrels and both tight chokes. George L. brought in a 12 gauge SW "Cape gun" with a 45-70 tube in one barrel. Very nice workmanship and pics to follow later when I get a chance. George also had a very nice original 2 barrel SW Ejector set, 26 & 32", both with forends, and with original LOM case with owner's name and Christmas gift date on it. Jim K. snagged a fantastic 32" AE late Savage gun, maybe 95% cc. Pics later also. Someone came by with two smallbore AE's, one 16/26" and the other 20/28". The Challenge shooting was going on at the time and I was watching the display guns on our tables. When I saw the smallbores I almost yelled Bingo! Both for sale. But both had some barrel mods and I passed. Neil showed his CE 12 straight grip project gun, and Mike his 12 SW project. I like to see our younger members carrying on the Foxsmithing. Talked with a friend who bought a 16 gauge SW barrel and forend for $700. I had a gent interested in my restocked Super Fox on Thursday afternoon, and he was waiting/pacing for me this morning when I arrived at the show. We made the deal and the gun is going to a new home in VA. And I bought a 32" J Grade SBT/straight grip in nice shape with vg cc that was shipped to Jos Kautzky. Saw a ~new CSMC DE 20 gauge/30 incher at a really good price 14K. Looked at some other Foxes over the two days but by now they're all a blur. One of them was a cool, nicely restored "Super XE 20 gauge" as it was lettered by JTC. Letter and card both show "Super" and XE", no "H" on the card. Gun is stamped "X".

I almost forgot to add, Parker won the Challenge. Gotta go. Silvers
APS

Post by APS »

Frank,

For those who did not get to see my Super XE 20 the barrels are 32" and noted as one of a pair- thanks for looking at the adjacent card. That made my day.

al
Alan Smith