Sterlingworth engraving

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
bbman3

Re: Sterlingworth engraving

Post by bbman3 »

In my opinion that is factory cut engraving. Bobby
jclinttex

Post by jclinttex »

Jay, Thanks for the pictures. I don't suppose you would remember the year of manufacture for this 16 ga? Dave's 16 above, and my 12 ga are both 1913 serial numbers. I have seen one other 1913 model with this engraving. Never heard of another year with this engraving. My 12 is a late model 1913 and McIntosh stated that engraving was changed on the graded guns in the later half of 1913 after Godshalks. I wonder if they were not experimenting with upgrades for the Sterlingworth? I think the similarity of engraving, the various gauges and the fact that they seem to all be last half of 1913 lends to the theory that these were the result of the factory testing the market and not an aftermarket embellishment.
Jay

Post by Jay »

JC, no I unfortunately did not note the serial number. I considered buying the gun, but procrastinated to long as it did not take long to sell.