SW pistol grip styles

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
studdog

SW pistol grip styles

Post by studdog »

I have noticed two different pistol grip styles one with grip cap one without. Does any one know the difference or when or why each where produced. I have a 1922 SW without cap. Thanks George
Fin2Feather

Re: SW pistol grip styles

Post by Fin2Feather »

I had thought that the uncapped grips typically were later guns. I'll be interested to see what the experts have to say about your uncapped '22 gun. My '35 16ga and my '33 20ga are both capped, my '36 or so 12ga is not.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I'd say that if a 1922-vintage Sterlingworth had the later uncapped pistol grip style stock, it was to Utica (or Chicopee Falls) for a new stock at some point in its life. The uncapped pistol grip is first pictured on the Fox-Sterlingworth in the 1937 Fox catalogue. Every A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogue that carries the Sterlingworth from 1911 to 1929 states -- "THE STOCK is best quality plain American Walnut, thoroughly seasoned, nicely checkered on grip and forend. Full capped pistol grip only."

Beginning with the 1931 A.H. Fox catalogue put out by Savage Arms Corp. the statement is "Stock and Forend--American walnut, nicely checkered and finished." Through the later Utica years it seems to be a totally random as to whether a Fox-Sterlingworth got the capless or a capped pistol grip. In the catalogues the Fox-Sterlingworth is shown with the capless grip, while the Fox-Sterlingworth DeLuxe is shown with a capped grip. In reality either model is found either way.

Share the knowledge
studdog

Post by studdog »

The SW I have is a 12 gauge sn 94203 which falls between 1921-1922. I have requested a letter on it. Perhaps it was restocked but it appears to be a fox stock. Thanks for the replies. George
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

Any idea as to when the change was made from the fancier grip cap to the plain rounded cap?

Mike
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I don't think there is a hard and fast date as to when the grip caps changed. They may have dumped a shipment of the smooth caps in the parts bin in the early 1920s, my 1922 20-gauge Sterlingworth Field has a smooth cap, but the nicer cap continues to appear for years later.
Share the knowledge