Ejector barrels on a non ejector gun?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Dick Jones

Ejector barrels on a non ejector gun?

Post by Dick Jones »

It must be the month for me to run accross odd guns. Or maybe I'm just learning.

This morning I ran accross a Savage Transition gun: A grade, with Savage marked barrels. When I opened the gun, I saw split extractors that told me it was an ejector gun. I removed the barrels and saw it had an extractor forend. When I looked at the front of the reciever, I could see where the holes for the ejector sears had been filled. Forearm, barrels, and reciever looked unaltered and the numbers matched.

Could someone have plugged the ejector holes, changed the forend and thus disabled the ejectors? The frame was not marked AE but you can clearly see where the holes were filled.

Could Savage have shipped it this way?

Dick
bbman3

Re: Ejector barrels on a non ejector gun?

Post by bbman3 »

Look closely at extractor guns and you can see that the holes have been filled.All Fox frames i have seen had the holes and if extractor they were filled.Very early frames may not be like this.I am not familar with them.You can punch the plugs out and convert extractor to ejector frame if you have the parts.
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

There is not much odd about that gun at all as Bobby stated except that it normally would have come from the factory with a single extractor. Other than the extractor mechanisms themselves, ejector barrels and extractor barrels are the same. It would be interesting to see if the pair of extractors are numbered to the gun.
Dick Jones

Post by Dick Jones »

So the only thing different was the extractors or ejectors were split? I never realized this but you're right. I looked at several of my guns and all show the plugged holes.

I learn something new all the time. This board is a welth of knowlege.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Dick, that is incorrect about the only difference being the "split" in the ejectors. The split stems of the ejectors are much longer than the stem of an extractor, and a barrel with ejectors will not come close to fitting on a Fox frame that was machined for an extractor setup. If this gun you're writing about has split ejectors in the barrel, but no ejector trip plates or their collars in the frame knuckle, some parts were changed out or modified. If you're going to be at the NE Classic at Hausmann's, I'll be happy to look at the gun and tell you what's up. As a first check, as Don wrote, look at the back sides of the ejectors to see if the serial numbers there match the gun frame number. Silvers
Dick Jones

Post by Dick Jones »

Silvers,

It isn't my gun just a gun that belongs to a gunshop in town that calls me for gun questions.

I was driving yesterday and wondering why Fox would have machned all his recievers for ejectors and then plugged 90% of them I then realized that, from a machinists standpoint, it might be easier to bore the holes for the hammer springs from the front and plug the holes than to bore them from the rear. Had I engineered the gun, I would have threaded the holes and put screws in them allowing easier replacement of the hammer axle.

Dick
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

On an ejector frame notice that the stud that sticks up from hinge pin that pushes ejectors out when you open the gun is shorter and flat on top.An extractor gun stud is slightly taller and rounded.Only way you can install ejector barrels on an extractor frame is remove the long split ejectors or install extractors or file down the stud.
Dick Jones

Post by Dick Jones »

So, are you saying the split ejectors shouldn't go on the extractor frame?
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Split ejectors are longer at the front and have a step cut in them for the stud in hinge pin to fit and push the ejector/extractor out some when gun is opened.Extractor only is shorter and stud contacts the end of extractor and pushes it up.If stud clears ejectors,then they will work. Bobby