Assessing a good buy Fox Gr C 12 ga (Pics)

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
yankee57

Assessing a good buy Fox Gr C 12 ga (Pics)

Post by yankee57 »

Gents, was able to have pics sent to me. after view Glen's post looks like the same issue here with a restocking would you agree? should I proceed?

photo-6.jpg
photo-6.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
photo-5.jpg
photo-5.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
photo-4.jpg
photo-4.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
waterman

Re: Assessing a good buy Fox Gr C 12 ga (Pics)

Post by waterman »

Yes I will say restock. But the gun looks to me like a first gen engraving. The first gun engraving patterns are nice. Also the gun looks to not Have any checkering on it not factory different but cool. Donnie
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Beautiful wood but looks like no checkering.Single selective trigger Frame looks to have have been polished to a high shine.Barrel do look like they have been reblued. Bobby
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

First the photos are so poor it is hard to make a real "guess" about the gun's current condition. :? The fore end looks original but sanded bare (note the proudness of the latch), the same might(?) be said of the stock though it still seems proud of the metal. Cs often had fancy wood. Atleast they used the proper period Silvers style pad. The barrel lettering looks quite good and perhaps this might bode well for the action being sympathetically polished without ruining the engraving. In any case, unless a factory card reads "no checkering" (highly unlkely) to bring this gun back to some semblence of looking like a factory Fox it would require, checkering, likely a new fore end wood and checkering, and probably the engraving picked up and re-cased. The latter operation would require disassembly, annealing, re-engraving, case hardening and re-asssembly. :shock: If it just needs the wood work, the polishing can be "toned down" with a little cold blue. :)
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

DGKaas wrote:If it just needs the wood work, the polishing can be "toned down" with a little cold blue
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you expand on that a little? I have a 16ga Trojan with a polished receiver and would like to "tone it down". Thanks...
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
yankee57

Post by yankee57 »

Thanks Gents! this has been a very good learning experience and certainly worth $25 yearly dues to have some real gun savvy people at your finger tips and quite fun to interact with!

TD
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

Fin2Feather wrote:
DGKaas wrote:If it just needs the wood work, the polishing can be "toned down" with a little cold blue
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you expand on that a little? I have a 16ga Trojan with a polished receiver and would like to "tone it down". Thanks...
Fin,

I think he is DGKaas is referring to a method of mimicking case colors that involves heating a receiver in a oven to a relatively low heat, hot but not enough to change the make-up of the metal or effect the hardness, then you rub on cold blue. When wiped off it leave a coloring that mimics case coloring. you can do a search on the double gun BBS and and find a few variations to this recipe. I have never tried it but many have stated that it works well.

I know Frank also has a "recipe" for this but I think he is keeping his under wraps; I believe I recall him mentioning trying to potentially make a commercial product out of it.
Cheers!
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

No, "ASavageFox", I am not referring to that technique. You just clean the polished action with acetone and then smear on the cold blue. Then you wipe it off. It usually just takes the 'shine" off. You don't want to blue it, you just want to take the shine off. A bit of polishing on a Chromox action can get it awfully shiny. If you leave it on too long it can make a blotchy mess like the Rizzini in the other thread that the proud owner thinks "restored" his case coloring... :roll: