Foxes with Reversed Triggers

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
eightbore

Foxes with Reversed Triggers

Post by eightbore »

I have read about Foxes with reversed triggers and have seen one, a Sterlingworth, and heard about others. I wonder how easy it is to switch triggers and whether any modifications are required beyond just changing the positions. Can anyone shed some light on this situation. Today I purchased a screaming Sterlingworth with more choke in the right barrel than in the left and would like to switch the trigger position. Could someone post pictures of the triggers disassembled. Thanks.
jim neyman

Re: Foxes with Reversed Triggers

Post by jim neyman »

I had Turnbull reverse the triggers on my HE while he had it apart for the same reason that you mention. I don't believe it is a problem because he didn't charge me for it.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Great news, Jim. How about some other news flashes. Any factory letters about such things? I would really like to get my triggers switched without a lot of problems.
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

Eightbore along the same lines but off brand I have a nice little 12 gauge Parker DH on a 1 frame that weighs 6lbs 7 ounces and the right bore is full and the left is cylinder. Do you know if it is a big deal on a Parker?

I never thought of that, what a cool solution.

I read in Schwing's Model 21 book that John Olin had his Model 21 trap doubles gun set up to fire the left barrel first because he thought it set him up for the second target better.

Best,

Mike
Never trust a dog to guard your food.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Amarillo Mike, I also have a set of Parker 26" Titanic Steel barrels bored full right and cylinder left. I have never thought to letter the barrels to find out whether the chokes are original. I will do that as soon as I have a minute to send a check to Mark. Switching triggers for those barrels is not neccesary because the barrels are fitted to a DH Grade pigeon gun with a Miller selective trigger. However, a good friend owns a PHE safetyless pigeon gun with reversed triggers that appear to be factory. We have not taken the gun apart to determine how much different these triggers are from normal factory triggers.
Last edited by eightbore on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

Steven Dodd Hughes mentions doing it in his book and basically says its no big deal (he has posted here recently, maybe he will speak up)... looking at how they work and assuming no one has made major changes to your trigger/sear contact areas, they should fairly interchangable.... I would think if you took the stock off you would be able to see if they will work. One trigger might end up a little "sloppy" Then again, a lot of fox triggers are "sloppy" in my opinion.
Cheers!
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

Bill thank you. That was very helpful.

Best,

Mike
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Murphy, what type of shooting will you be doing with the gun that you feel the need to reverse the triggers? Just curious, because I actually prefer to fire the tighter choked barrel first in a lot of my hunting. I would love to own a 30 or 32 inch 20 gauge Fox ejector gun bored tight right an loose left for doves. I keep my SPII Sporting screw choked LM or M bottom and IC top for doves. Works great on incomers. Stan
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Stan, I really don't need to do it. However, it is not a totally original gun because the left barrel has been bored out, so I thought I would change the triggers so I wouldn't have to think about the open-tight order. No harm in making an interesting change in a gun that has already been changed. I covet my friend's PHE with the reversed triggers, so now I might have one of my own.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Murphy, I completely agree there's no harm done. That's not the reason I was asking. I'ze just curious if you ever did any kind of shooting where you had found it useful to fire the tighter choked barrel first.

After shooting doves since age eight, about 7 or 8 years ago I became frustrated at myself for waiting too long to take the first shot on incoming doves. So, on my first run down to Cordoba, Argentina I decided to really work on making myself take the first shot on incomers much further out allowing me to double before the second bird passed by, causing me to turn quickly and try to kill a straightaway. I messed with the choke tubes in my 20 ga. SPII Sporting the first day and settled on a LM in the first barrel and a IC in the second. Actually it would work well with a M or even IM in the first and a SK or CYL in the second. This combo and sequence even works well on ducks if it's just you shooting and you time the first shot right. Timing that first shot just right is critical to doubling and having both birds fall in front of you. It is truly amazing how far out you can drop the hammer on an incoming dove using 7/8 oz. shot and scratch him dishrag dead with just a LM.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Yes, I agree with you that there are many opportunities to use the tight barrel first. I often use the tight barrel when shooting pheasants that flush a bit far out. Of course, it is a one shot deal. Can anyone post a picture of Fox triggers, out of the gun?
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Here you go Bill. I've never tried to switch triggers so I don't know how that would work out. Silvers

eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Thanks, Frank. It looks like they may adapt with a little filing and bending on the sear contact area. It also looks like the blades will be a little far apart when installed backwards, but a little bending may bring them back in line. Thanks again. Murphy
Northern Bob

Post by Northern Bob »

AmarilloMike, I've got a DH 12 with right full and left cylinder chokes in 30" barrels. Its a 1 1/2 frame at an even 7 lbs. It lettered as correct and was originally sold to a pro shooter. I've often wondered what he used a set up like that for.
AmarilloMike

Post by AmarilloMike »

I can't imagine what else besides incoming birds, dove or ducks or driven birds I suppose.

Thanks for sharing and that is interesting.

Best,

Mike