Page 1 of 1

Let's say I had $2000 to spend

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:16 pm
by Gmountain
What should I look for? An A grade in ok shape or a good 16 guage or a fair 20 gage? What do you all think?

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 pm
by Twice Barrel
I am very partial to small frame Foxes and for the money and versatility for upland game and clay target shooting I don't think you could go wrong with a 16 gauge Sterlingworth especially if you reload. At $2,000.00 if you shop around you can probably find one in fairly high condition.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:08 pm
by mc15426378
I second the 16 ga. This weekend I drooled over one for quite some time, went back by 3-4 times, even went back Sunday. While I did not mic the bores they were extremely nice as was the rest of the gun and it appears all original with great case colors, barrels/blueing and stock finish. The gun is on face and the lever is way to the right. Basic Philly SW with 28" barrels. Only flaw I saw was the butt plate has a chip/ding in the bottom. Seller is a dealer in north MS, seemed like a nice guy, knows his guns. Price was $2,500.00 which seemed high to me. He might come down and he might not. Didn't see him sell anything, just folks looking to sell. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll pass you his info.


Mike

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 pm
by Gmountain
So you guys would definitely go with a better quality gun, rather than a smaller gauge. That's good to know. Thanks.

One person's opinion

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 pm
by vaturkey
I've got 2 SW 16's and an A grade 16, plus a 20 Gauge SW. I always end up carrying the 16 because it hits a tad harder and is just as light as the 20. Plus I love 16's and frankly that is a deciding factor. One of these days I've got to pick up a decent 12 as well.

PS. I picked up a SW 16 Gauge Philly gun a few weeks ago on gunbroker for $1,375. It was and is a nice nice gun. It was choked full/mod, had 26" tubs and the chambers were still short. I don't plan on messing with her in any way. Weight is 6 lb 1 oz. What I'm saying is there are still some out there to be had. Just ask lots of questions in advance and make sure you have a three day inspection period.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:52 pm
by THE FOX
Maybe I look at things a bit differently, but I would decide on what I intend to do with it. I have shot a 16 practically all my life, until the last few years that I've been accumulating them. I've added a AE 20, and I like it so well, that I use it most of the time. It is a well used gun and I didn't think it was "collector" quality. Mater of fact, I plan on giving it a very nice stock and forend, plus a new rust blue job. From what I've seen lately, the 20's are bringing 500 to 700 more , everything being equal. What I'm saying is that for the same money, I would take the 20. That''s just my opinion. If you are looking for a shooter, you will like either. Bryan

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 pm
by Fin2Feather
Like Bryan says, whatcha gonna shoot with it? I'm a 16ga guy and always have been; my 16ga Sterly is the one that leaves the house most often...just love that gun. I've got a real nice Sterlingworth 20, but 90% of my shooting is at wild pheasants, so the 20 mostly stays home, except for once in a while when I know we'll run into some quail. The 12ga Sterly comes out sometimes for spooky late season birds. If I had to pick one gun and live with it? For me it'd be a 16ga AE. JMHO.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 am
by dragon
get one of each.that works for me!