Page 1 of 1
What do you take with you to a gun show?
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:19 am
by vaturkey
Curious what tools does everyone take to a gun show to look over doubles? What are the must haves in everyone's mind?
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:53 am
by Gmountain
A flashlight.
tools
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:26 am
by Brian
I take the following:
small tape measure: for LOP, drop, barrel length etc. laying a double down on a flat surface, barrels held down, butt in the air, and measuring to the nose and heel off the table gives pretty accurate dimensions
small dial calipers: for barrel diameters, use in conjucntion with inside calipers to get wall thickness measurements at muzzle
inside dial calipers: for choke dimensions, chamber length, lenth of choke tapers etc. One of the best little tools to have. I mark the legs at 1", 2", 2 1/2" 2 3/4" 3". This allows me to measure chambers and gives idea of length of choke tapers when checking for cut barrels.Brownells Catalog #61, page 384, Part #100-002-230AB
bore light: fibre optic, doesnt need batteries (which are always dead when you need them)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 am
by mc15426378
I carry a tape measure, snap caps, good small flashlight, small machinist's SS ruler, small mirror, and my Galazan bore gauge (left in the car till needed). I also carry a printout of barrel thickness/bores/chokes in case a seller does not believe what my measurements are and what they mean. Last and not least is CASH.
Mike
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:59 am
by fullchoke16
Small Maglite,Stanley tape, Starrett telescoping gauges and a Starrett 0-1 mic. and CASH.
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:34 pm
by NJdblgun
Yes; cash, ATM bankcard and checkbook, plus small tape rule, and reading glasses. I just got one of the inside gauges described above by Brian, and that will accompany me also from now on; thanks for the earlier information Brian.
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 pm
by eightbore
Galazan choke micrometer, tape measure, magnifier. I always forget the flashlight but always need it. I have no cash. If you go to enough shows, you seldom need it. Many dealers just tell you to send a check when you have the money. I can't believe how old I am to have that privilege.