Page 1 of 1
Silvers Pad Straightening
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:30 pm
by FOXsan
I have just received a new #3 Silvers pad.
The pad has an lumpy and slightly bowed mounting surface. I've been told
it is common practice to remove the lumps by placing a sheet of sandpaper
on a flat and slowly sanding them off. But before I sand the lumps how do
I remove the slight bow?
Thanks for your help.
FOXsan
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:38 am
by Doug Mann
Joe, just take the pad in your hands and bend itt o remove the bow. It won't take much pressure to straighten the pad. Then place a piece of sandpaper (150 or 180 grit works fine) on a flat surface and witheven hand pressure, sand the pad flat.
Doug
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:39 pm
by DoubleGun
Joe,
No recoil pad from any maker is flat when you get it. They all have to be flattened out. Make sure the pad is warm before you start flexing the bow out of it. If it is a genuine Silvers pad from England be really careful as the base on these tend to be brittle. A heat gun or hair dryer will warm the pad up enough to flex without cracking. As for the lumps, a sheet of sandpaper works fine if you have the patience. If you have a belt sander available it will do the job a lot quicker . Hold the pad on the belt, turn the switch on, turn the switch off. Repeat until the bumps are gone. Make sure to sand the base down evenly side to side.
Cheers,
DoubleGun
Silvers Pad Straightening
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:35 pm
by FOXsan
Thanks to all for providing me with the information I requested.
FOX san