Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
- Silvers
- Posts: 5176
- Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:28 pm
- Location: Between Phila and Utica
- Has thanked: 1209 times
- Been thanked: 1852 times
Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Today I finally had a chance to shoot the Fox J Grade SBT gun I found in Alaska a few months ago. I had limited time this morning, shot 60 mixed reloads and did quite well on sporting clays singles on call = 55/60. I know this will give some of our purist collectors the jitters but she's been restocked in what looks like tiger stripe maple that's been finished to match the original forend wood. The stock fitting is superb. She also has a Simmons "Broadway" style vent rib that's a full 1/2" wide from breech to muzzle. I like it! A very much sturdier replacement for the narrower Fox vent rib that sits on small roundish posts and is easily pulled loose from matching dovetail slots in the under rib. Over the years I've repaired the original vent ribs on (three) Fox SBT's that were pulled through on one or more slots. You can see the Simmons rib posts on one of the pics.
Anyway, an article is planned so I'm giving limited details here. The Fox Record Card is missing. 32" barrel, original 2-1/2" tight chamber, strong full choke, tight as a tick and previously owned by a Wisconsin transplant to AK who was AK state champ and is in the AK Trap Shooting Hall of Fame. frank
. . .
. . .
Anyway, an article is planned so I'm giving limited details here. The Fox Record Card is missing. 32" barrel, original 2-1/2" tight chamber, strong full choke, tight as a tick and previously owned by a Wisconsin transplant to AK who was AK state champ and is in the AK Trap Shooting Hall of Fame. frank
. . .
. . .
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
- Foxnut
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:53 pm
- Location: Western, MI
- Has thanked: 1483 times
- Been thanked: 1564 times
Re: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Frank,
Glad to hear you shot the new J Grade so well! That stock is very nicely done. Look forward to reading the article when published!
Glad to hear you shot the new J Grade so well! That stock is very nicely done. Look forward to reading the article when published!
Regards - Foxnut
- Jeff S
- Site Admin
- Posts: 3793
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:59 am
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Has thanked: 2838 times
- Been thanked: 1712 times
Re: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
That’s a good looking gun, and in the pictures it appears to have more drop at comb than at heal. I’m very interested in reading your article.
Shoot vintage firearms, relax, and have fun.
- fox-admin
- Site Admin
- Posts: 4149
- Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:46 pm
- Has thanked: 759 times
- Been thanked: 2119 times
Re: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Thanks for sharing. 95% of these old guns have had some work done to them to suit the different generations of owners. Well done mods/repairs are just part of the gun's history and should be enjoyed for what they are in my opinion. These are the guns most of us own.
-
Jimmy Goodtime
- Posts: 205
- Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:19 am
- Has thanked: 253 times
- Been thanked: 266 times
Re: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Very cool history and a nice gun which you will no doubt put to good use, Frank. Just curious as to how you determined the stock to be maple as it appears as heavily fiddlebacked walnut to me.
- Silvers
- Posts: 5176
- Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:28 pm
- Location: Between Phila and Utica
- Has thanked: 1209 times
- Been thanked: 1852 times
Re: Alaska Fox J Grade SBT on the course
Jimmy, you're probably correct on the fiddleback walnut. I'm not a wood expert by any means and my thought when I posted is that it reminded me of flintlock long rifle stocks made of hard maple. Thank you!
From what I understand the Simmons "Broadway" rib on this Fox dates that mod prior to early 1964 when Simmons moved from Kansas City to Olathe. frank
From what I understand the Simmons "Broadway" rib on this Fox dates that mod prior to early 1964 when Simmons moved from Kansas City to Olathe. frank
Aan