New to me Ithaca!

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Stan Hoover

New to me Ithaca!

Post by Stan Hoover »

Just thought I would show off my new to me Ithaca, I know it’s not a Fox, but I believe most of us would pick this up for a second look if it were in the used gun rack :D
Attachments
Ithaca NID 5E 12G  32” VR BTFE SST
Ithaca NID 5E 12G 32” VR BTFE SST
204E1F1F-BBC0-4764-AC59-8134B98AF8A3.jpeg
3B9B5312-16B0-4467-A706-1A7D8AAF7A26.jpeg
grouse_fan

Re: New to me Ithaca!

Post by grouse_fan »

Stan Hoover wrote:Just thought I would show off my new to me Ithaca, I know it’s not a Fox, but I believe most of us would pick this up for a second look if it were in the used gun rack :D
Yes, I would have gave it a second look. Nice gun!
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Oh my, now there's a duck gun. That's another stunning example of an Ithaca Stan. Can't wait to see this one in person. Is this the one you mentioned last week?
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

DarylC wrote:Oh my, now there's a duck gun. That's another stunning example of an Ithaca Stan. Can't wait to see this one in person. Is this the one you mentioned last week?
Daryl,
This is the one, seems to be all legit. The seller was correct, 2 3/4” chambers, other than that, it is everything an Ithaca 12 gauge Magnum should be.
I don’t quite understand why you would order a Magnum with 2 3/4” chambers, but I guess the original owner had a reason. Either there’s a number 2 3/4” Magnum 12’s out there or I’m just a magnet. Per Walt’s book, there was 87 Ithaca 12 gauge Magnums produced, I’ve encountered 5 12 gauge Magnums, 2 that were 2 3/4”, and the rest were 3”.
Stan

Hopefully Dave will add some insight, I’m sure he has encountered many more than I have
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Refresh my memory Stan, are they marked 2 3/4" or 3" somewhere on the gun or is that length measured by you? What year was it made and would there be an factory letter available that would shed some light on the chamber length?

Maybe the original owner was thinking ahead of his time and realized that he didn't need a hard kicking 3" load to kill whatever quarry he was after.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

Daryl,

Usually they are marked on the barrel flats, at least all other 12 gauge Magnums were that I encountered. This one is not marked, my gauge measures the chambers at 2 3/4”.
The other 2 3/4” Magnum I previously owned, it was stamped 2 3/4”. I only realized it after I received the gun, the dealer had carefully avoided showing that in his pictures. He did offer to take it back, but I kept it at the time and traded it later on another gun.

Walt did still have all the NID records and Knick SBT records as of a few months ago, they were soon to be sent to Cody. I plan to talk with him today to share my find with him and to see if he has any history or records on this gun. I’m really curious if the chamber length was noted.

I guess I’m young and foolish yet, bigger is better, did I mention 8 gauge :)

Stan Hoover
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Beautiful gun!! I would sure stop to take a look.

It appears Ithaca turned out a handful of heavy trap or pigeon guns on the Magnum-frame. Probably the most notable being the No. 5E this chap used --
Who Is This Happy Chap pg 1.jpg
Who Is This Happy Chap pg 2.jpg
I've recorded a couple with Magnum serial numbers in the 500xxx range and a couple that have regular NID serial numbers in the 467xxx range.
467661 03 NID Magnum Frame Standard 12-gauge 5E.jpg
Ithaca stamping the chamber length on NID barrel flats was pretty hit or miss, heavily leaning towards the miss.
Share the knowledge
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

Interesting Dave,

I was not aware that there was some Magnum frames under 500,000. I don’t believe I have any NID’s with the chamber length marked other than Magnum 10’s or 12’s. That choke designation of 8 is the first I’ve seen.

Do you know what the X175 signifies on the barrel lug?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Dave,

Stan Hoover
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Pretty sure that is actually a 3 for improved modified. I have no clue on the X175. This pretty late 16-gauge No. 2E has an X428 stamp on the barrel flat --
468762 10.jpg
Share the knowledge
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Stan, very very nice. Great catch and thanks for sharing. I once came pretty close to buying a 12-gauge Magnum Ithaca NID, 30-inch gun on a table at the Southern SxS. I don't recall its Number (Grade) but remember it was in that 500,000 s/n range and had the 3-inch chamber stamp. Dealer had it priced right up there, just too high and he woundn't budge.

The Ithaca NID whether regular or Magnum frame is an excellent design, some mechanical pluses and minuses as compared with A H Foxes, but imo netting out pretty much comparable.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Ithaca Gun Co. didn't list the Magnum-12s in their catalogs and on their price lists until 1937, the same year they dropped cataloging the Super-10, and from then until WW-II they were listed as coming with 30-inch barrels. However, I've seen them with much lower serial numbers and longer barrels. Years ago, Steve Barnett was offering a No. 1E, serial number 500155 with 34-inch barrels. I looked at it at one of the Vintage Cups at Sandanona. I looked at a No. 2E, 500144, at the Cabela's flagship store in July 2004, with 32-inch barrels with an Ithaca retrofit ventilated rib and a spliced in Monte Carlo comb. Wes Dillon was trying hard to make it mine but I couldn't get by the ring bulges behind the chokes.
Share the knowledge
Stan Hoover

Post by Stan Hoover »

Researcher wrote:Pretty sure that is actually a 3 for improved modified. I have no clue on the X175. This pretty late 16-gauge No. 2E has an X428 stamp on the barrel flat --
468762 10.jpg
Dave,
The 3 would definitely make sense, not an 8. Seems I’ve bumped into a number of NID’s recently with the extra X stamping, I believe most were on the barrel lug. I had asked Walt about that awhile back and his response was, that is a repair code, and no, there are no records of those repair codes that have survived :(

Frank,
Would have that been a 2E being sold by Barnett? It may have been a different one but I remember him having one there in 2019. These NID magnums have kind of become a bit of a passion for me. They seem to be not as well known unless the seller has a fair amount of Ithaca knowledge. I only became more aware of them in the last 6-7 years.
I’m sure they’re no where near as well known as the Super Foxes, although I did talk with a fellow who had Field grade magnum and a Super Fox for sale not so long ago, he wanted Super Fox kind of money for his Ithaca :|

I’m not sure what I would do if I found a 34” barreled Ithaca Magnum for sale, any SXS Ithaca for that matter. I might have to do some selling to acquire a 34” NID.

STAN HOOVER
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Stan, Jay Schacter had the gun at the 2016 Southern. NID Magnum frame 3-inch 12 gauge, 30" barrels @ $6250 firm. I checked the chambers with my machined gauge and they measured full 3 inches and not "tight" as on original 3 IN. Super-Foxes. As I mentioned earlier it was in the 500,000 s/n range but I don't recall its Number/Grade. But it wasn't a Field Grade.

frank
Aan
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Stan, very, very nice gun. I am a closet Ithaca junkie. I think grade for grade some of the nicest wood for American doubles. That would be a great Turkey gun!
Regards - Foxnut
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

According to my notes the Magnum-12 that Jay had was a No. 4E, 500493. The primo Magnum-12 is 500536, the $1000 Grade that Josh displayed at Hausemann's a few years back before it went to auction --
500536 03.jpg
500536 01.jpg
Share the knowledge