Michel McIntosh

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
waterman

Michel McIntosh

Post by waterman »

Hi I was just looking at McIntosh book AH Fox what kind of gun is he holding on the back cover? Whatever it is it's nice look at the slim for arm what a nice gun thanks.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Wilkes?
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

That is MMcI's John Wilkes sidelock ejector 12 bore as restocked by his bud, Trevallion. He wrote a piece on it. As I recall, the serial number is out of Wilkes sequence so it was likely "made by another" and bought in by Wilkes to fulfill an order. I've owned 8 Wilkes guns and 2 double rifles. It was a fascinating little family operation and I have many fond memories of hanging out at their former shop at 79 Beak St. in London since my first visit there in 1976. Buying a few pints for John and Tom Wilkes at the local pub was a graduate course in the history of British gun making. My English Setter, is named "Wilkes".
waterman

Post by waterman »

Well it is a nice gun I have several fox doubles and other doubles some drillings and I have to have a Wilkes now where woud be the best place to look and how much "I like the gun not having a kick pad" .
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I don't have all the information that Don does, so I read the name off the sideplate.
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

Cabela's has 3 Wilkes boxlocks for sale including a nice little 28 bore. Wilkes sidelocks are harder to find but Vintage Doubles (Kirby Hoyt) has an early Wilkes hammerless (but not stocked to the fences). British game guns with chequered butts are quite common. Wilkes favored horn buttplates so many original guns are found with them.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

My attempts at humor are usually wasted on Don. Some day I'll tell him about the pair of Wilkes boxlock .410s that I didn't have the gusto to pursue at a estate sale in Hagerstown, MD. Somewhere I have a gun list for that auction. I hope I never find it.
FoxedChisels

McWilkes 12 Bore.

Post by FoxedChisels »

MMcI wanted to have a stock that fitted his"Aging Frame" The gun I restocked for him to the new Dims.(He had Aged somewhat from his 'Fitting at Hollands several Years before) Worked out "Well & Good" I shot Photos of him killing Geoff Gaebe's Best Pheasants for the Mitchell/McIntosh Video using the "Best Quality London Sidelock" His photo with the "BQLS" is (Was) on the Original Video Sleeve. Its now on a DVD, Sporting Classics have them. I have many Photos from the 5 days we "Cavorted" with Guns ,Cameras, Naked Dogs, Barbour Coated Beauties,(Jack Mitchell,Geoff Gaebe, Brian Hays,The Barbour Boys")I will ask MMcI if he knows the whereabouts of the"B.L.S-Lock".. FoxedChisels..
waterman

Post by waterman »

Foxed Chisels thanks for showing looking at my ad and trying to help just got to have one of those sidelock guns. Do you no MMI well if so you are a lucky man I always wonted to meet this man and ask about super foxes did Bert Becker oversee all boring on super foxes I have #27826 and it is a beauty. Foxed chisels thanks for trying to help me again on the sidelock gun my name is Donnie Reels and I live in Kentucky please tell old MM I am a big fan thanks.
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

Donnie,
Those english guns are cool and we should all have a couple or more.

While I enjoy MM's writing and sense of place I think you will find more information on Fox guns here where some of the people who compiled the data for MM's Fox book post on a regular basis.

Now if we can just get the collected knowlege on this board and the members other contacts in print we will be able to understand even more about all Fox guns. :twisted:
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.