Cleaning Advice

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jeff S

Cleaning Advice

Post by Jeff S »

All gun enthusiasts know that they should keep their guns well oiled to prevent rust and to keep moving parts properly lubricated. However, "oiling" and "cleaning" can be two different things. One of my favorite guns for skeet (other than a Fox) is my 1922 Simson. About half way through the round of skeet, I started having a difficult time getting the gun to "lock". This gun has the "greener cross bolt" lock and it usually works great, but last night the bolt wasn't retracting on it's own. When I got home, I dabbed a little oil on the cross bolt, and I dabbed a little oil on the internal parts that also move when the lever is moved. The fresh oil definitely helped, but I'm wondering if I should "clean" the bolt. If "old oil" builds up on moving parts like the cross bolt, is there something in particular that you guys like to use to remove the old "gunk"? Jeff
Foxnut

Re: Cleaning Advice

Post by Foxnut »

Jeff,
I had a 20 Sterly that was “stiff”. This gun wasn’t a closet queen but not a beater either, just one that had been used as intended. I actually took it to VFI and They stripped and cleaned it completely. Triggers were crisp, and it didn’t feel stiff any more. I guess 80 years of dried oil, grease and dirt/dust had finally needed to be dealt w/properly.
Last edited by Foxnut on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards - Foxnut
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Thanks. I visit Jay every now and then. By the way....when are we going to go shooting? Anytime you want to go to KCCL, let me know. During the week is best. My weekends are usually booked. Jeff
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I've had Dan Rossiter do a strip and clean on a number of mine over the years. He runs all the pieces through a ultra-sonic cleaner. Amazing the crud that ones finds inside these guns when they haven't been cleaned in 75 years.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Jeff, let’s plan on late May or early June. I have run of three weeks that I’m traveling for work. Agree, a weeknight would be good as weekends get ate up w/family commitments!
Regards - Foxnut
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Foxnut wrote:Jeff, let’s plan on late May or early June. I have run of three weeks that I’m traveling for work. Agree, a weeknight would be good as weekends get ate up w/family commitments!
Let's do it. I like shooting with people that are better than me. That's how I learn. :)