Lubaloy Super-Trap Shells

Use this section to discuss Fox paper, catalog's, advertising and such.
Weatherby

Re: Lubaloy Super-Trap Shells

Post by Weatherby »

You guys sure know your shotgun shells.

I picked up a few today.
Attachments
2020-07-16 18.24.46.jpg
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

I briefly owned this box of Lubaloys before gifting to a friend that had been looking for some 3.5" Peters for a long time before I finally researched them and noticed Peters never offered a 3.5" 10 gauge load! Lol
Mag10 Super X 2 Lubaloy.jpg
Mag10 Super X 2 Lubaloy.jpg (105 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Fowlgunner, I assume the first picture of the Nash Buckingham load was in use from the late forties to the sixties. I have never seen my 1948 boxes because they are still sealed in Henry Bartholomew's cardboard case dated 1948. Nash's Bo Whoop was lost in 1948 and the shells never got used. Some more of these shells were owned by other of our members. Hopefully, not all of them were used.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Anyone have a box of Lubaloy shells in this yellow style box that Western used very briefly in the early 1960s --
Super-X 10-gauge Magnum, yellow box, SX10M2.jpg
Super-X 10-gauge Magnum, yellow box, SX10M2.jpg (74.19 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
????
Share the knowledge
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I may have one. Full, nice red paper shells.

Whats up?

I just checked, I have the exact box shown. Mine also does not say "Lubaloy" on it, so I guess I don't have one.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

eightbore wrote:Fowlgunner, I assume the first picture of the Nash Buckingham load was in use from the late forties to the sixties. I have never seen my 1948 boxes because they are still sealed in Henry Bartholomew's cardboard case dated 1948. Nash's Bo Whoop was lost in 1948 and the shells never got used. Some more of these shells were owned by other of our members. Hopefully, not all of them were used.
I can't imagine a cardboard case being from 1948. I have Western Super-X wooden cases for loads that were first introduced in 1953 --
L10M4 -- Super-X Magnum-Ten Lubaloy wooden case #4 Lubaloy.jpg
Up through the 1952 Western Cartridge Co. catalog the regular Super-X load number was prefaced with an S and the 3-inch 12-gauge and the Lubaloy Super-X load number was prefaced with a P. Beginning in 1953 the chilled shot Super-X load number was prefaced with an SX and the and the Lubaloy Super-X load number was prefaced with an L.
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The Henry A. Bartholomew case was factory dated 1948, month and year of the loss of Bo Whoop. It is a cardboard case. It came from Henry's garage in Fort Washington, MD. I would rather it be a wooden case, but it is what it is. Maybe you could ask another of our members what date is stamped on his Nash shells and whether the crate is cardboard or wood. His shells came from the same garage as mine. Let me know what you find.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Excerpt is from my report dated 4/25/2010 on the Southern SxS. This seems to be the case of Super-X 3-inch shells that made its way to Bill. The case was made of cardboard and end-stapled. frank

One of the coolest items I saw and almost bought, was a full SEALED case (20 boxes) of Super-X 3-inch shotshells, 1-3/8 ounce #4 coppered loads that was factory addressed to Henry Bartholomew in c/o where he worked. Stapled together and dated November 1948. Very legit! I consulted by cell with two other members and we all agreed it was just too pricey. I just got an email from one and he said he and I will probably regret it. Yep. I saw it walking out later in the day.
Aan
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

How is it "factory dated"? An interpretation of the lot #? What is the load number on the case? P374L --
Super-X 12-gauge 3-inch P374L not RECORD.JPG
in use through 1952.

Or L1234 the load number until the introduction of plastic shells?
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

My case is not prefaced with an L, it is suffixed with an L, P374L, not like on the wooden 10 gauge case pictured. The date is not an interpretation of the lot number, but an actual date stamp on the bottom of the box, "11-48", the month Bo Whoop was lost. The top of the case was stenciled Henry A. Bartholomew Continental Life Insurance Co. Investment Building 15th and K St. NW Washington, DC. Dave, there was quite a bit of overlap in the use of wood and cardboard boxes. Apparently, wood boxes could be ordered into the sixties.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Western changed their Load Numbers in 1953 -- P374L became L1234.
Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

As far as the wood crate versus cardboard case, here is my experience. In about 1960, I was shooting at the Bucks County Shooting Association in Chalfont, Pennsylvania and saw wood crates that had just been delivered to the club and shells were being sold out of them. The club was a pigeon club and the shells and boxes would probably be very collectible today. I really don't know the overlap dates of wood to cardboard, but there was definitely an overlap. I had never seen wood crates at a gun club before.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

In my youth I remember my father getting wooden shell crates from sporting goods and hardware stores we frequented, but unfortunately, he made most of them into bird houses!!
Share the knowledge
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

My only box of Super Trap loads, but not Luballoy. Chilled shot.

eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Wow. Ounce and a quarter. That takes us back a ways. How far, Dave?