Savage Era 16 gauge bore diameter.

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
David Penland

Savage Era 16 gauge bore diameter.

Post by David Penland »

I have a 16 gauge SPE and the production card says it is choked skeet one and two. I measured the muzzles with a micrometer and they measured .646 and .635 which are not Skeet according to other info I have seen on other discussions. The barrels appear to be original so I am wondering if the bore size is tighter than normal. Thanks for any information/ knowledge.
Silvers

Re: Savage Era 16 gauge bore diameter.

Post by Silvers »

Looks like the Christmas festivities kept some our members from replying. :o

A H Fox 16-gauge bores will run .658 to .669" diameter; that's the range of those I've owned or recorded. Those numbers are random in Phila and Utica production. Bottom line, you'll need a good bore mike to see what you have and to cipher the choke constrictions.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Researcher

Re: Savage Era 16 gauge bore diameter.

Post by Researcher »

My 16-gauge Fox-Sterlingworth Skeet & Upland Game gun letters as being Skeet Cylinder and 1/4 choke as they were cataloged. However, it actually sports .009" right and .017" left with bores of.660". That is more like 1/4 choke and modified. If I was a little more ambitious it would be off to Mike Orlen or someone to be opened up.
Share the knowledge