Super-Fox thread moved to Members Forum

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

Super-Fox thread moved to Members Forum

Post by Silvers »

I posted about a Super-Fox rebuild here last evening and despite stating I don't do commission work like written up and shown in that post, I've now had three contacts from gents who know me from other forums that asked for extensive details or about doing work for them when I have time etc. Sorry but I don't want to jump the gun on an article and I just don't have the time, inclination and a gunsmithing FFL to be doing commercial work.

However I still want to share what can be done so I've now moved this thread from the public area to our Members Forum. Thanks for your understanding.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Aan
JasonPeck

Re: Rebuilding a Super-Fox

Post by JasonPeck »

Well done Frank. Thanks for sharing.
AHFCA Life Member
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Frank, you are an expert! Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
SmithShady

Post by SmithShady »

This was the perfect gun for you Frank. I don't know anyone else with your knowledge and appreciation for the Super Fox, with the ability to breathe new life back into her as you have. Thanks for taking the time to post the progress, and glad you're documenting the work. Can't wait to see it when you're done!

Mike
"Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Good to hear from you again, Frank. I was just thinking this morning that I hadn't seen you post in quite awhile and hoped you were well. I see that you're still in fine fettle, and still doing your excellent gun work.

Thanks so much for the pictures and narrative. I really like the old Super, with it's inlays. We'd rather these old guns always be original, but sometimes the personalizing that the original owner did to the guns gives them a little special "feel". Sort of like folk art, in a way. I have a 1918 BE 12 ga. with 32" barrels that has the owner's name, and the year 1919, crudely engraved on the trigger guard bow. The guard has also been brazed back to it's threaded stud many, many years ago. Someday I may correct these things, but as you said, I'll probably leave them, too.

I wonder how many ducks saw a flash out of those muzzles, and it was the last thing they ever saw?

BTW, is that the original forend? Can't see much of it in the pics.
Silvers

Re: Super-Fox thread moved to Members Forum

Post by Silvers »

Thanks everyone for your feedback which I greatly appreciate. Please see the edited first post.

Stan, thanks also for your concern. I've had some heavy things going on since early August. Nuff said. The beavertail is aftermarket, not too large. Decent looking and checkered to match the wrist but the barrel channels are a little crude inside and I'll rework them. Judging from its look and usage wear it's been on this Super for a long long time. Also some wood is splintered out inside above the ejector sears and I plan to mill out/splice in matching filler pieces when I get to the wood work. I'll get some good before/after pics as that work is done. Gun is fully functional right now. She weighs 9^2 with the beavertail as compared with 8-3/4 as made with a splinter.

If any members have additional comments or feedback please post on the MF thread. Thanks.

frank
Aan
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Having seen and handled this HE before Frank purchased it and after he had worked his mojo, I'm here to tell y'all that this classic gun has a new life! Any of us would be proud to own this piece of history!!

Frank has been an advisor to me on double guns and my obsession with American double guns is all his fault!! Frank lit the fire and fans that fire on a regular basis. I both curse him and thank him for his friendship. I actually thank our Lord 3 times a day that Frank is part of my life!!! :D
Last edited by Mike of the Mountain on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Some of you may recognize Mike's wit in his last sentence as taken almost verbatim from a Seinfeld episode. :lol: But with that said Mike has been a true friend ….. guns, hunting and shooting camaraderie, and also for support when heavy things come up in life. The latter more than once. Same with his wife Susan. I am fortunate to know them.
Aan