Meet my new Lab Nellie

Use this forum to post pictures of your hunting dog.
DarylC

Re: Meet my new Lab Nellie

Post by DarylC »

Wow. Nice shooting Craig and company. Nellie really makes the day when she performs like that doesn't she. You got to be a proud papa.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
grouse_fan

Post by grouse_fan »

Good looking Lab, looks like you got a great waterfowl dog!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Well yesterday was most likely the last day at our marsh 3 Blacks and one banded in 2015, very cold weather in the forcast. Little Nellie has made 60+ retrives with 2 lost cripples an amazing accomplishment in a cattail marsh. Now we turn or attention to the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario for divers and puddle ducks.
After the first of the year we head to South Carolina and the Cooper Black dog traing facility managed by the state of SC. Getting her in shape for the hunt testing season.
Attachments
20201213_105435resized.jpg
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Very nice pictures, and it looks like you have had a pretty good year. As you move to the Finger Lakes region, will you run into ice? I'm interested in hearing about your ice eater.

Jeff
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Jeff: The larger Finger Lakes rarely freeze as they are 500 feet deep plus or minus. What we hope for is the redheads, whistlers and cans will show up before our season closes. Divers that are crippled swim to open water which can be a killer for a dog, better to retrieve divers with your boat. I am headed down to the Susquehanna Flats for a body booting duck hunt with a guide in Janurary. Nellie will stay in the truck
Jimmy Goodtime

Post by Jimmy Goodtime »

Impressive dog Mr. Larter, sir! While most everyone appreciates a good hunting dog, few can comprehend the time and resources that go into making one great unless they are involved themselves. If you don’t mind me asking, do you do all of your training yourself or do you also have the assistance of another trainer? Either way, great job with Nellie!
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

fox-admin wrote:Jeff: The larger Finger Lakes rarely freeze as they are 500 feet deep plus or minus. What we hope for is the redheads, whistlers and cans will show up before our season closes. Divers that are crippled swim to open water which can be a killer for a dog, better to retrieve divers with your boat. I am headed down to the Susquehanna Flats for a body booting duck hunt with a guide in Janurary. Nellie will stay in the truck
You sure do a lot of duck hunting. Very impressive. If you happen to get a canvasback, please post a picture. I've never seen one in the wild. Maybe someday....
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

What areaof the Flats will you be gunning and who is the outfitter? On the right day this is a blast but can become miserable real quick. Make sure you bring a complete change of clothes just in case.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Jimmy: I have had 5 hunting labs. My first four dogs I did all the training and hunt testing. For Nellie I have used a pro named Tony Carlo, Lake Effect Gun Dogs to coach me through the process and train her in the winter months. You will never have a great duck hunting dog unless you play a big role in training. Dogs are not robots but some people think they can send a dog off to a trainer take it out duck hunting and expect perfection, it just doesn't work that way. It takes time to develop mutual trust and for the dog to become a true believer. Labs are amazing animals and few ever develop thier full potential, that is my mission with Nellie.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

fox-admin wrote:Jeff: The larger Finger Lakes rarely freeze as they are 500 feet deep plus or minus. What we hope for is the redheads, whistlers and cans will show up before our season closes. Divers that are crippled swim to open water which can be a killer for a dog, better to retrieve divers with your boat. I am headed down to the Susquehanna Flats for a body booting duck hunt with a guide in Janurary. Nellie will stay in the truck
Sorta off topic but as Craig mentioned: "couple of the larger, deeper Finger Lakes rarely freeze . . ." reminds me of times past growing up around the Finger Lakes (I'm still here) the local lore of using water from Cayuga or Seneca Lake in your car radiator because it doesn't freeze. You don't need anti-freeze.

Sounds good in theory doesn't it?

Merry Christmas everybody.

Jolly
Jimmy Goodtime

Post by Jimmy Goodtime »

fox-admin wrote:Jimmy: I have had 5 hunting labs. My first four dogs I did all the training and hunt testing. For Nellie I have used a pro named Tony Carlo, Lake Effect Gun Dogs to coach me through the process and train her in the winter months. You will never have a great duck hunting dog unless you play a big role in training. Dogs are not robots but some people think they can send a dog off to a trainer take it out duck hunting and expect perfection, it just doesn't work that way. It takes time to develop mutual trust and for the dog to become a true believer. Labs are amazing animals and few ever develop thier full potential, that is my mission with Nellie.
I agree with so much of this. I don’t have a Lab, but I train my own Boykin Spaniel. The bond and relationship are so important. Not to mention, they are pets and friends 90% of the time.... hunting machines the other 10%. It is a lot of work, but the rewards of hunting over your well trained dog increases my hunting enjoyment so much. It looks like you are well on your way to wringing out all of Nellie’s potential. Well done and happy hunting!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Jimmy yea it makes me happy also!!
Attachments
20201213_105615.jpg
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Nice picture Craig. Are those more black ducks?
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Craig, Nellie really looks great in that last picture. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Craig, have really enjoyed watching this thread and the progress Nellie has made!! Agree whether it’s a Lab or a Setter or a ....! Like you I’ve trained my dogs previously. This go round I am getting trained along w/Rosey and truthfully I need it more than her! It is amazing to me to watch a well trained lab and owner trainer when they are in synch with each other. Amazing!!
Regards - Foxnut