What goes around....

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

What goes around....

Post by Silvers »

Some shooting clubs are now requiring non-plastic wad shells to be used on their grounds. I was out this week and had a chance to shoot some new Kent fibre wad cartridges. When I get a chance I'll scavenge some of the Kent shot and load in plastic wad handloads to get a good comparison of choke performances with both cartridge types. I've patterned a lot of vintage fibre wad ammo but the 40+ year old shot is often oxidized and clumps together. Usually the plastic wadded stuff shoots tighter with a given choke constriction but this will be the first time I'll be able to pattern test with fresh factory fibre shells. I thought you guys and gals would be interested in the new (old) developments. More to come. Too bad they're not loaded in blue, green or red papers. Silvers

birdawg

Post by birdawg »

I wonder what would happen if all the vintage gun shoots required paper shells?

I would think rolled crimped paper with fiber wads would help prevent global warming.
Love those purple 16 gauge shells from the past.
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
mike campbell

Post by mike campbell »

Seems if they can make paper Dixie cups for 2-3 cents apiece, someone could make a paper wad with a shot cup. Heck, Winchester held onto their revolutionary Mark V plastic shot wrapper at least until 2004; maybe they're still using it in promo loads. Seems a paper shot wrapper would improve patterning and ease bore leading. Wonder if anybody's ever experimented with that...hmmmmmm, Silvers?
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Interesting concept Mike. I would think a paper shot wrapping collar would reduce or eliminate leading. One of these days when I get a reloader set up and some time away from other things I'll experiment. It might be a good wintertime project since I can shoot in my woods here at the house without having to drive to & fro . Meanwhile my bud who reloads is my lifeline on any non factory stuff. Frank
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

mike campbell wrote:Seems if they can make paper Dixie cups for 2-3 cents apiece, someone could make a paper wad with a shot cup. Heck, Winchester held onto their revolutionary Mark V plastic shot wrapper at least until 2004; maybe they're still using it in promo loads. Seems a paper shot wrapper would improve patterning and ease bore leading. Wonder if anybody's ever experimented with that...hmmmmmm, Silvers?
Mike,

You are 100% correct. A couple of years ago, when the whole 16ga paper shell issue came up, I got involved. I talked to several makers and various retailers. Many of the components are subcontracted , eg the paper tubes for the shells. In the end, they can make up anything you desire. They have only 1 question, "How many millions do you want?" They will happily drop ship the components to your front door.

Pete
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I assume the shot cups mentioned in the sporting press of the 1880s and 1890s were not made of plastic. I further assume they were made of some kind of hard paper or cardboard. I think shot cups are almost as old as breech loading shotguns.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Well guys one of the members of the 16 gauge loaders group has already made up a die for forming paper shot cups from milk cartons. For anyone interested in joining the 16 gauge loaders group contact RWG (Russ Gray) on the 16ga.com board.