Another Fox returned to service

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Chuck Heald

Another Fox returned to service

Post by Chuck Heald »

:D
I bought this AE 12g 4-5 yrs ago with a cracked restock and deactivated ejectors. It's been sitting around waiting for work. I finally had it restocked and freshened finishes on the reciever and triggerguard.

The dimensions are 1 1/2 x 2 3/8 x 14 1/2, 3" pitch with ever so slight cast off. Checker pattern is a X grade style. Wood is 35 yr old from Pachmyr. Orig F/M chokes. It came out 7lbs 2 oz and should make a dandy wild phez gun for a blocker.

Turnbull casehardening and triggerguard blue.

Regards,
Chuck Heald
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

Sweet, I love the foreend tip 8)
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
NJdblgun

Post by NJdblgun »

Very nice! Beautiful gun. The stock is great, excellent figure.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Very nicely done checkering. I'll second that on the fore end tip. I'd have a hard time shooting birds due to gawking at the gun all day. :)
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Doug Mann

Post by Doug Mann »

Chuck, that is a great looking gun - nicely done and a great stick of wood. Congratulations!
Proud regular member of the ACGG
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Question from a neophyte: I've not seen a forend tip like that before; is it something one might see on a high-grade Fox, or a custom detail by the owner? Beautiful gun either way...
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Fin, Check back a few threads to XE project gun. Chuck went with XE checkering on this gun. Looks a lot like the XE project tip. Fred
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Doug Mann

Post by Doug Mann »

Here's a side view picture of the Fox XE gun with the original ebony forend tip installed. There may be some slight variation in the factory profilies due to the hand labor involved but this matches the ones that i've seen in the past. Hope this helps.

Doug
FRBRIT

Post by FRBRIT »

Doug, That wouldn't be another little teaser would it?

Chuck your a lucky man to own such a wonderful FOX, you have got to be one happy camper owning that baby!

Nice Job!
Life Member A.H. Fox Collectors Association Inc.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

OK, since I've already shown my ignorance (happens quite often), is there a purpose for the tip, or is it merely decorative? I'm thinking it might serve to lay one's forefinger against when pointing at the target; then again, maybe I'm over-thinking it?
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Doug Mann

Post by Doug Mann »

Fin2Feather wrote:OK, since I've already shown my ignorance (happens quite often), is there a purpose for the tip, or is it merely decorative? I'm thinking it might serve to lay one's forefinger against when pointing at the target; then again, maybe I'm over-thinking it?
IMHO, it is purely decorative. They do look very nice BTW. 8) You have to understand, I'm 6'3" + so my left hand is normally out in front of the forend anyway just so I'm not cramped up in my arm. "Cramped up" isn't the best term I supose but its the first thing that comes to mind.
Chuck Heald

Post by Chuck Heald »

The forend tip of this type is shown in McIntosh's book on an X grade. I don't have his book with me as I'm in Hawaii at the moment. But, it's also shown on one of the X grade guns in the pics on the main page of this site. My stockmaker put a radius at the bottom of the V, I assume for ease of inletting, but may have also seen this variation on an original.
Regards,
Chuck Heald