What was special about this Fox on GB

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
James Wark

What was special about this Fox on GB

Post by James Wark »

I am fairly new to the fox field of collecting, I know 32 inch barrels are good. Didnt know of a 31 inch. But I dont understand what brought the value of this one so high.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/616967338
Jim
vaturkey

Re: What was special about this Fox on GB

Post by vaturkey »

Big discussion about this on the Members Only forum of this website. Bottom line is no one can explain it other then two guys got into a bidding war. Might considering joining up. Lots of stuff in the Members only forum and you can also buy and sell doubles there.
James Wark

Post by James Wark »

Thank You
I had not seen the discussion
jim
Scott

Post by Scott »

That one has most of us scratching our head. :?:
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
Mills

Post by Mills »

You couldn't give me a super fox with cut barrels. The chokes are one of the main reasons to own a super fox
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Mills wrote:You couldn't give me a super fox with cut barrels. The chokes are one of the main reasons to own a super fox
If it would have gone in the 3K range with the cut barrels I would have been interested. I had contacted the seller and based on the dime test and what the bores were supposed to be I thought you would be looking at .035 and .045 for the chokes. That would have been fine for hunting the Shenandoah River down here in Va.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I just hope the ol' boy who sold it didn't get drunk and blow it all on baccarat or blackjack.

He HAD to have been celebrating somehow or 'nuther.

SRH
FoxintheHenHouse

Post by FoxintheHenHouse »

I'll repeat what I said in the "members only" forum ...

"I got a feeling you might see this Fox pop up again for sale in the future, not necessarily on Gunbroker though. You can bid to the moon, but that doesn't mean you have to actually pay for it."

FoxintheHenHouse.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

FoxintheHenHouse wrote:I'll repeat what I said in the "members only" forum ...

"I got a feeling you might see this Fox pop up again for sale in the future, not necessarily on Gunbroker though. You can bid to the moon, but that doesn't mean you have to actually pay for it."

FoxintheHenHouse.
Agree. The two guys bidding it up had no feedback, which probably means they had both just registered with GB. Accordingly, they might have got caught up in the moment. This gun could be relisted again I'm guessing.
gwsmith

Post by gwsmith »

Why the hell would it be worth your time to cut 1" off of a set of barrels - I understand cutting barrels is not a good idea on a vintage gun like this in the first place - but to cut 1" off just seems so stupid to me.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

gwsmith,
I agree on your sentiments of cutting off 1". Who knows, these were working guns and could have gotten damaged or just wanted an expedient way to "open up" the patten. I have a CE 16 Ga that has 25 1/4" barrels and it was originally a 26" barreled gun. Go figure!
Regards - Foxnut
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Best bet is muzzle damage. Duck guns catch hell.

SRH
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I bought a Sterlingworth 16 gauge 30" ejector a few years ago that had a big dent on the barrels on the breech end. Required micro-tig welding to fix and of course a new rust blue to make right. My gunsmith surmised that while the gun was apart the barrels were dropped on a concrete floor and that's when it happened. Crap like this happens all the time it seems. I'm guessing only 1" was cut off because the user wanted to retain as much choke as possible and cutting off 2" would have resulted in more loss of choke. I'd normally would say that making the barrels 30" would have made the gun sell better because it was a normal barrel length for some Super's, but it sure didn't matter in this case.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

One of the nicest HE Grade Foxes I didn't buy was a 30 3/4" with just loads of choke left. The price was in the mid twos and worth it.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I agree with the "barrel damage" assumption. When I received my well worn Sterlingworth, there was a crack in the end of the barrel, maybe 1/4" - 3/8" long. The gunsmith did an outstanding job of welding it, but someone else might have opted to cut it down. (Mine was already cut so it was short enough).