Poi & shoot'n paper

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Mother ducker

Poi & shoot'n paper

Post by Mother ducker »

Having shot vent ribs till now , I was interested to see where my sterlingworth shoots. I was surprised a little. Shot a flat rib at 16 yards and pattern was 50/50. When I comfortably mount the gun I see some rib, so to make a controlled test I took along some magnets and metal shims. I placed a 3/16" magnet on the breech end of my rib to use as a rear sight and shot. My pattern went to 100/0. Did this a few times for proof and with booth barrels, then shot low gun with no magnet a few times and found I shot my gun 100/0. I have 30" barrels and I wondered if I had different length barrels I could alter this. I know some of you must have 2 barrel sets or 2 guns with the same stock dimensions and different length barrels and I want to know if they shot the same? From my short test I would think they would only if you shot a flat rib. For me sighting 3/16" above the receiver to a point going from barrel options 26" to 32" has got to change poi, maybe I got this wrong ,I don't know. My goal is not to fit my gun with new barrels,but to have better understanding of how I shoot and knowing when I pick up a gun to buy if I'll fit it. Thanks
fullchoke16

Re: Poi & shoot'n paper

Post by fullchoke16 »

The pattern board is something we all glean a bit of statistical knowledge from and it amuses our fertile minds. Now this is just one duck hunters opinion, so you can take it or leave it, but unless your anatomy is very small, very large or really odd shaped, stock fit isn't nearly important as gun writers would have us believe. That said, trigonometry of the line of sight can also be over thought, but it is interesting. There is no substitute for experience, that is shots taken and made or missed on the skeet field, trap range, sporting clays or my favorite,"back pasture clays". Practice the angle and distance that is most encountered in the field with various guns. They will have different dimensions, barrel lengths, overall weights and chokes and you will find some to be quite acceptable and others not even close. Once you get the "feel" of a gun that is right on, you won't soon forget it. I guess what I'm saying is numbers are interesting but there is no substitute for practical range work(shooting). Olympic shooters go through upwards of 500 rounds a day for months at a time to be competitive and have a consistent gun mount and break point for each target encountered. You and I probably don't have that kind of time or money to do that and unfortunately most of us are just not that gifted. As Brister's book title suggests, shotgunning may be part science but it is equally an art. Good Luck with your quest, I hope you shoot many guns, burn lots of shells and never quite find the perfect gun, because after all the fun is in the searching. Fred
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Red Ranger

Post by Red Ranger »

If you had web name that isn't border line offensive you might get more replies to your posts. .
Mother ducker

Post by Mother ducker »

Thanks full choke it's all just food for thought! I've shot very few guns many times,I would rather spend my time shooting than looking for a gun to shoot. Just refining the process and have read much on changing the back end of guns and nothing on the front. Sorry red ranger the name was a curse given to me by a good old boy I spent way too much (or to little for he is dead and gone) in a duck blind with but every time I use it I think of him ,so he now lives forever.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Mother, I shoot many guns, only a few of the 10 and 12 bore have "optimum" stock dimensions. I find it's more important to "feel" and perform a proper mount. Don't over think the game. Feel is much more important when we make our move to the clay or the game bird. If we think about the shot we will more than likely miss. Have fun out there. BTW, your board name cracks me up! That good ol' boy must have been a real piece of work!!
Mother ducker

Post by Mother ducker »

Yes Mike that good old boy was sweet! Been shooting 100 targets a week and the "feel" is different,someone should make a sticker "it's a sxs thing" . I love my fox,only gun I've shot that doesn't hit me in the face, just need to eat more targets!