Hello and new A grade

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
CalebH

Hello and new A grade

Post by CalebH »

Hello all. I have been reading this site for a while and have been amazed at the wealth of information here. Anyway, I am relatively new to the fox world. I am a pretty young guy to be so in love with double guns (26) but I have been crazy about them since I was a little kid for some reason. When I was 12 I saved up my money and bought a Stoeger double to duck hunt with even though it was a piece of junk pretty much. My dad also has a Smith field grade that I dove hunt with quite often and a Sterlingworth 16 gauge. I have always wanted one of my own and finally found one I'd like to show you.

I had been searching local shops along with the internet and found this gun on a popular gun website. I immediately recognized it as an A grade even though the seller had it listed as a Sterlingworth and had it priced as such. It is a 12 gauge with 30" barrels and is a later model with more engraving and is a Philly gun. I took a chance and bought the gun and am quite pleased with it. It is numbers matching and in pretty darn good shape except for the bottom screw on the receiver which has been messed with. I also thought it was unique because it has #4 weight barrels. What do you guys think it is worth? I know these aren't the best pictures, I need to take better ones with a digital camera. I think it was made around 1919 according to the serial numbers. Thanks for reading!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello and new A grade

Post by fox-admin »

Very nice gun indeed!! I am impressed 26 years old and into vintage double guns. My suggestion is just enjoy the gun and don't be to concerned about what it's worth. You bought what appears to be a very solid gun in nice condition that will last your lifetime if properly cared for. If you paid a Sterlingworth price for the gun then you know you made a good buy. A late style A grade typically sells for about 1.5 times more than a Sterlingworth in the same condition in my opinion.
I only wish I had started my Fox collecting at 26, WELCOME!!!!
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

I think those first 2 pictures are excellent. Real nice gun to start with.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
SmithShady

Post by SmithShady »

Caleb, thanks for taking the time to post your new A Grade. As others have said, it's a nice example, and if you paid Sterlingworth prices then you bought your first one right. Watch out though, A 30" 12ga A Grade is exactly how my collection started, and once you've started its hard to stop! :D The #4 weight barrels were the lightest that Fox made, and should make for a nice carrying 12ga. If you can see the #4 weight stamps consider yourself lucky, as most of those marks on the lighter barrels were struck off. For $30 you can join the AHFCA and get a free card lookup. We have the original factory order cards for most graded guns after serial number 9648. In the mean time we're glad you're here, and please post some more pictures when you get her out in the field!

Mike
"Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Really nice looking late "A", Caleb. Congratulations.

+1 on joining the AHFCA. Vastly more information available to you by becoming a member as opposed to just reading the non=member's section of the forum. The archived posts by a few of the members here, in the member's section which is not visible to non-members, are worth many times the yearly dues.

SRH
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Caleb,

Great Fox....you done good!!! Now, we need you to join our little asylum and infect 25 of your closet friends ( all under age 30) with the FOX virus!! You are the future of this endeavor. Without the support of the Millennials, I fear one day, long after we're dust, all of our Fox guns will be melted down into "The Finest License Plates in The World!!"

P.S.---There is no known vaccine for said, Fox virus.
Last edited by TOOL MAN on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Welcome Caleb! Very nice looking A grade you have there. Congrats on finder a "screamer" for your first Fox. +2 on joining the Fox Collectors. Come on, you know you want to. All the cool kids are doing it!! 8)
CalebH

Post by CalebH »

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! I do plan on joining the association ASAP because I would like to get the card on this gun. I can't wait to take this old girl in the field. I have shown the gun to all my friends and while they do think its cool and pretty, they really don't have the appreciation for the craftsmanship and history behind these guns but we're working on it. And I know this fox bug is bad, my wife is sick of hearing me talk about guns! I am a big waterfowl hunter so a super fox would be my holy grail :D
Ithaca33

Post by Ithaca33 »

Nice gun Caleb! What you're holding there is on my short list at the moment and it looks like you found a nice one! I'm only a year older than you and in the same boat all my friends like plastic handguns and black rifles while I'm into 1911's and double guns lol. It's lonely at times but hang in there we're here to help fuel the addiction.