Hi. New both to the site and Fox....pics added

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
DumblikeaFox

Hi. New both to the site and Fox....pics added

Post by DumblikeaFox »

I recently purchased my first Fox (Sterlingworth) at a gun show. In my usual bass ackwards way of doing things most of my research came after the purchase.....it's how I roll, ha.

I guess a little history by way of self introduction is in order.

My first double was an old Stevens SxS 12 ga. that I hunted with as a youngster and that's when my love for older doubles began I guess. Unfortunately I sold that gun when I was in the Navy and even more unfortunately learned later that the kid I sold it too had sawed it off......heart sick.

It's just been over the last couple of years I've felt financially "comfortable" enough to begin investing in "better" guns and hunted the past couple of years with a new Mossberg Silver Edition II. Again I got lucky as I guess the original release of these had some issues with firing pins, something I learned after my purchase. So far so good with the II......20 ga and 28 ga bbls with which I hunt grouse and woodcock here in Pa. Pretty much all I hunt anymore......guess I'm at an age where I just feel too much remorse over taking animals anymore and given my percentages on these birds I don't suffer much regret.

Long story short, yeah, too late.....I fell in love with my Sterlingworth as soon as I lifted it to my shoulder. It's a 12 ga w 30" bbl.s (assume both full?) built in 1926 from what I can tell from ser. 1117##. The barrels are nicely patinaed and most of the case color is gone so the receiver is nearly silver. There is no rust or pitting anywhere and the LOP is 14 1/4. It does not have a Jostan(?) pad, but the wood all appears to be original and in good shape. The lever is slightly right which is good I guess?

Anyhow, I'm glad to have found this site and to have the opportunity to learn from what appears to be a good, knowledgeable group of Fox lovers. I'm pretty sure this won't be my last Fox.

I have a number of questions about this gun and I'll try to post them in the right forum. Never owned one before so please bear with my "stupid" questions (in anticipation of which I chose my user name).

Anyhow, thanks and looking forward to being here!
Last edited by DumblikeaFox on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi. New both to the site and Fox....

Post by fox-admin »

Hey welcome. We have a number of members in PA so you may be able to link up with them someday. Keep an eye on the upcoming events forum, a visit to a shooting event is a good place to see a bunch of Foxes and talk guns with a bunch of great folks. Enjoy your Sterlingworth, probably 90% of us started our love affair with Fox guns after purchasing our first Sterly. Craig Larter
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

"I'm pretty sure this won't be my last Fox."

No truer words were ever spoken!!!! Welcome to our parish. Lurk, listen and absorb and if you like
the hors d'oeuvres, consider joining-up and taking advantage of the sumptuous main course offered on our Member's Only Forum.
There will be big-doings at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow (Friendsville, PA) on June 4th---6th. Hope you can pay us a visit.
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

Which part of PA are you from?
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
DumblikeaFox

Post by DumblikeaFox »

fullchoke16 wrote:Which part of PA are you from?
The SW Indiana Co.
Researcher

Re: Hi. New both to the site and Fox....pics added

Post by Researcher »

Welcome. Looks like a nice honest Sterlingworth you have there. Good way to start this disease. Looks like a Fray-Mershon "Whiteline" pad from the 1935 to 50 period or maybe an early Pachmayr?
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

That is a great looking Sterlingworth, a great example of "The Finest Gun in the World" You did very well. Craig
gunut

Post by gunut »

from what Im seeing your Sterlingworth still has around 35/40% of its case color, and a little figure in the stock....nice looking gun..
gunut
WPGRIFFON

Post by WPGRIFFON »

Great looking Sterlingworth, congratulations on the find. It's tough to own just one.

I'm in Western PA also.

WPGRIFFON
DumblikeaFox

Post by DumblikeaFox »

Thanks all........nice to hear all the positive comments.....impulse has gotten the best of me in the past but I feel like I did okay after checking listed prices online.

Gunut.....really? 35 to 40% seems high to me, but what do I know. Thanks