Barrel "ring"

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jeff S

Barrel "ring"

Post by Jeff S »

In several postings I've heard people talking about striking a barrel to determine if it "rings" correctly. I'm not familiar with this test. Can someone explain it to me?
fullchoke16

Re: Barrel "ring"

Post by fullchoke16 »

Remove the barrel assembly from the rest of the gun and hold it up vertically, by the lump (the part that rides the hinge pin), with your thumb and index finger. You can ring them with just about anything, my favorite is the plastic handle of a small pocket screwdriver. As you tap on the side of the barrels you will hear them ring like a tuning fork. If you get to a spot where the sound changes to a dull clunk, that is an indication of a loose rib or some other defect. Hope this helps explain it. Fred
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Fred nailed it. Some folks equate the sound to something like a set of wind chimes as well. Nice ring that continues for a few seconds.
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

Here's a YouTube video on how to check the ribs on a SxS shotgun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGEw7XYp9_A
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

That's a great You tube video. Thanks for the tip, and so far my old Sterlingworth rings pretty good.