Fox C #96?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
reb

Fox C #96?

Post by reb »

Here is an interesting Fox, is the serial number correct? When was this gun made?
Ross
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

It would have been made in 1906 ( or late 05 corrected). I wonder what the chance of getting a letter on a gun this early would be?
Last edited by birdawg on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Slim to none.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I don't see any link to the gun in question? I ssem to recall having seen number 96 at some time in the past. No chance for a letter on a gun that early. The A.H. Fox Gun Co. was incorporated about April 1905 and began advertising in mid-December 1905, so a gun with that early serial number might have been built in 1905. Might be some useful information in my Double Gun Journal article on serial number 35. I'm travelling after the Las Vegas gun show and don't recall the volume and issue.
Share the knowledge
schnabel

Post by schnabel »

Researcher wrote:I don't see any link to the gun in question? I ssem to recall having seen number 96 at some time in the past. ...
It has been on gunbroker for a bit.....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=90625897
...the only path to true knowledge is through wasted money...

Dave-
Shooter

Barrells

Post by Shooter »

When looking at the pics, it struck me that there seemed to be a little too much metal width where the barrels meet. I tried to monkey with the image to pick up the lines of the tubes, but couldn't quite do it.

As the barrels are listed as 30", it wouldn't seem they've ever been cut. Ever see a set of factory barrels with a small space between the tubes?

Researcher

Post by Researcher »

A nice example of that -- FLUID STEEL KRUPP ESSEN -- HEAVY WEIGHT BARRELS marking. Too bad the picture isn't clearer. Maybe those were originally 32-inch barrels that have been cut with those open chokes. Hard to know at this point in time. Certainly not the first one with #29 and #35 out there that I know of. #35 is really more of a DE then a CE, but its markings are all over the map.
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Double Gun Journal article Volume 12 Issue 1 (spring 2001) about Number 35. Marshfellow
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Late Foxes are known to sometimes have space between the barrels. I don't know about earlier ones. Some open choked later guns have notations on the work card that say "Cut longer barrels to make this gun." I know, it sounds crazy, but that's what they did. I sat at an auction one day with a copy of a work order card for a 20 gauge SP that said exactly that. Unfortunately, another prospective buyer of the same odd length gun also had a Callahan letter on the same gun. He also had more money than I did. There was a serious space between the barrels, but they were original.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Eightbore, would you happen to still have that letter for the 20ga SP? I am curious to know what the choking was is the letter....and listed barrel length? Thanks, Marshfellow
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I don't seem to have the card copy that I mentioned. I may not have had it in printed form, maybe just had read the information without copying it. The SP was not in high condition, I didn't purchase it, so never pursued the letter. Researcher should remember another example of a weird gun we saw at an auction where the buyer benefitted from the knowledge he possessed about the originality of the unusual barrel length. I can't remember the details, but he may. I'm not sure that gun wasn't an SP Grade also.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I believe you are thinking about a 25-inch barrel 20-gauge L.C. Smith skeet gun. Our opposition had the info from Cody. There was also a pretty nice Fox second generation B-Grade 20-gauge at that auction with normal length barrels. As I remember the same gent bought both. I have four or five Fox doubles with 26-inch barrels that letter and none touch at the muzzle.
Share the knowledge
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Researcher wrote: I have four or five Fox doubles with 26-inch barrels that letter and none touch at the muzzle.
I'm sure glad you said that, as my 26" barrel set for my old AE two barrel set has a slight space between the barrels (which, was added after 1911 per the patent date on the forend iron). Yet, they're properly crowned and appear correct otherwise. And, the chokes are at least .005/.015. I won't know for sure until my bud brings over his bore guage so I can properly check them.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Researcher, thanks for the reminder of the facts of our unsuccessful attempt to purchase a couple of neat guns. Information from the Fox order cards, Cody, PGCA, and a few other dark and shady sources have helped me in my attempts to document the originality of unusual guns. The down side is that other collectors/purchasers use the same sources to compete with me. Oh, well. At least everyone here is a little more comfortable with their 26" Foxes with space between the barrels.