Cutting Barrels

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
jakl

Cutting Barrels

Post by jakl »

How does this typically affect value? I got a 16ga AE that had the barrels cut from 28 to 26".......................................thanks.
Researcher

Re: Cutting Barrels

Post by Researcher »

The kiss of death!! A gun with cut barrels barely worth 50% of equal gun with pristine unmolested barrels.
Share the knowledge
MilRob

Post by MilRob »

Definitely hurts resale. But didnt a 16 or 20 ga CE recently sell for like 9K with cut barrels?
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Agree, it is often the kiss of death. That said, since Fox chokes were so long (4 to 5 inches in many cases) even a 2" cut can still result in a fair degree of choke remaining. Hence a full/mod gun can be cut and still in some cases even be mod/ic and thus still useful for the intended purpose. In my opinion if the gun can be purchased cheap enough it can still be one helluva a good deal dependent on whether the user just wants a nice shooter.
jakl

Post by jakl »

Thanks for the responses.
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Didn't I read somewhere, perhaps here, that sometimes, perhaps often that Fox would cut barrels to fill and order if the requested barrel length was not on hand or readily available?
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Yes, that is correct.

tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

that sometimes, perhaps often that Fox would cut barrels to fill and order if the requested barrel length was not on hand or readily available
There are a handful of such card notations -- "perhaps often" does not enter into it!!
Share the knowledge
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Were shortened barrels always noted on the production card and production log?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Were shortened barrels always noted on the production card
The answer to that is unknowable. There is no production log.
Share the knowledge
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Researcher wrote:
Were shortened barrels always noted on the production card
The answer to that is unknowable. There is no production log.
If that is the case information listed on a research letter could be wrong am I not correct?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

If that is the case information listed on a research letter could be wrong am I not correct?
Yes, could be. See Frank Srebro's article "By the Numbers" in the Spring 2012 Newsletter.

Normally, at least in later years, when a gun was pulled from inventory and modified to fill an order, a larger Fox Special card was filled out for the gun. It seems that more often than not only the original production card or the Fox-Special card survive in the records. By luck, I happen to have a Fox-Sterlingworth Ejector Field Deluxe where both cards survive. The original production card --

The Fox-Special card --

I have a very late 20-gauge, 26-inch barrel, A-Grade where the original production card has the Half under Grip and the F & F for chokes crossed out.

I'm sure there was a Fox-Special card that covered restocking with a straight grip, opening chokes to improved cylinder & modified and possibly fitting a beavertail forearm, but that card isn't in the records. Just to add fuel to my theory on my gun, the gun immediately before it has such a Fox-Special card surviving.

Share the knowledge
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

So hypothetically we know have the possibility that there exist guns that letter with barrel lengths shorter than those listed on the research letter, without keels because they have been removed when the barrels were shortened, chokes that are more open than listed and shorter than the normal that are in-fact in the configuration that the left the factory. So what are the clues that a barrel is not in their original configuration? Placement of the front bead? Radius of the muzzle of the barrels? Or ?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Bottom line -- there are no absolutes!!

Some of us get a pretty good feel for this sort of thing after 40 to 50 years of looking at these guns. I'm sure there are those smarter than me who get it sooner, and I'm equally sure there are those who will never get it.

You could be dealing with Bakers, Lefevers or whatever other guns for which no records survive!! The production card or a letter from John is a clue, but that is all.
Share the knowledge
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

I was buying a16 28 inch CE and had to cancel because the card showed 30 inch barrels.I could not take a chance. Bobby