gunsmiths in Eastern, PA

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
jakl

gunsmiths in Eastern, PA

Post by jakl »

Hi, new member here, you people have me chasing my next Fox(16 ga, 32"), but in the mean time, I had my HE out in NJ and was looking for a good gunsmith to break the gun down and give it a thorough cleaning(internally). Any help would be greatly appreciated..........Thanks, Joe
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Welcome Joe, I live in PA too but I do most of my own Fox gunsmithing so I really don't have a gunsmith recco for you. I will say though if your HE is working properly and hasn't been dunked in swamp water or similar there may not be a big need to tear it down for a cleaning. Anytime the sear pin is driven out to remove the stock you get some wiggle and the stock gets looser at its head. Regarding your search for a 32" 16 gauge Fox. Good luck! To borrow a phrase from a friend I'd say you are looking for 32 hen's teeth. Possibly the best you'll do is to get a 30" 16 gauge, none to common either but much more so than 32" smallbore Foxes.
Aan
jakl

Post by jakl »

Thanks, Silvers. The gun wasn't dunked, in the past we had problems with guns that were in a misty rain rusting up. That hasn't happened this time as the gun was heavily treated and thoroughly cleaned on the surface. I was hoping the insides would be ok. Galazan had a 16ga 32" on it's site, but they emailed me it was sold, but it's still there. High price, I'm more a hunter/shooter than collector. It's the first one I've ever seen, so I'm tempted to actually call. I think I had too many questions in my email. Thanks
Researcher

Dewey Vicknair

Post by Researcher »

Share the knowledge
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Researcher is giving you good information. The gentleman he mentions just tore my "second batch" HE apart, reheaded the stock, cleaned it up inside, spiffed up the wood finish, and installed a brand new Hi-Gun. I think it's ready to go. I'm almost afraid to take it outdoors.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Bill what do you mean by reheaded the stock??
deweyvicknair

Re: Dewey Vicknair

Post by deweyvicknair »

Researcher wrote:Dewey Vicknair

VicknairRestorations@Juno.com
Thanks for putting up my info. Joe - If you'd like more information, you can check out my website. www.VicknairRestorations.com
deweyvicknair

Post by deweyvicknair »

fox-admin wrote:Bill what do you mean by reheaded the stock??
Re-heading the stock consists of removing any oil-soaked and compressed wood from the head area internally, replacing with new wood, and refitting. I do not believe in "glass-bedding". Glass-bedding is for bolt-action rifles.
TOOL MAN

Dewey Vicknair

Post by TOOL MAN »

Dewey,

Will you by any chance, be at The Greenwich, CT show this weekend? I have a few projects I would like to talk to you about.---TOOL MAN
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
jakl

Post by jakl »

Thanks for the info.
Crazy Horse RVN

Post by Crazy Horse RVN »

Try this. It just might save you a few bucks.

Disassembly for STERLINGWORTH

You have to remove the sears in order to pull the stock off the frame. Remove the trigger guard screws and trigger guard, the guard screws out of the floor plate counter-clockwise. Remove the tang screws, both top and bottom. Remove the screw in the floor plate, Lift the floor plate out of the frame by lifting with the triggers and tapping around it with a plastic hamer, NOW BE CAREFUL, there's a small spring and the top lever trip pin in the hole that the floor plate screw came out of. The spring may fall out when the frame is inverted, if not, use a small wire to pull it out. The trip pin will stay in, unless the top lever is moved back to the center position. You can now see the sear tails are against the wood when you pull the stock back. Next, remove the tiny screw that retains the sear pin, use a small drift punch to drive out the sear pin. Tip the heel of the stock down to clear the safety mechanism and it should come off. NOW BE CAREFUL AGAIN, there's a safety push rod in a small hole in the head of the stock that is easy to lose.. Good luck.. Bushrod