Comment please

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
ranmcc

Comment please

Post by ranmcc »

I have a Savage Fox 20ga 1933 vintage and apparently previous owner had the choke changed to cylinder and not quite IC. I was thinking about getting screw in chokes put in. It has a 28" barrel. Any comments.
ROMAC

Re: Comment please

Post by ROMAC »

It is your gun and you can do whatever you want with it, but it sounds perfect to me the way it is.

That being said you probably will need thin walled chokes installed and everything will need to be checked out by a qualified gunsmith beforehand. If it is anything but a Sterlingworth I'd say no just because of that.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Vernal pike

Post by Vernal pike »

Your 20b gun choked Cyl/IC Is ideal for quail and grouse.
Don't mess it up by installing choke tubes.

Vernal
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Unless you are pass shooting tall doves you have about the perfect choke set up for all upland game especially if you are shooting over pointing dogs and most clay target games.
kgb

Post by kgb »

Someone opened up a Modified Winchester barrel to .003", but a trip to Mike Orlen brought it back to about .012" for me. He cut a bit of clearance behind the original choke to get those additional points of constriction and although I only tested it with one shell (the one I used the most in the gun) it was something like 14% tighter than the same shell in the other barrrel, which is Cylinder. The gun wasn't useless with .003" and .000", but those two chokes shot very much alike. It seems if you've got two barrels you should have two chokes!

Give Mike a call if you'd like to look into a jug choke for one of those tubes.

Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

deleted
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

There's a tremendous amount of wisdom generated by the above post. Thank you for the time to share that wisdom Frank :!:
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

There's a tremendous amount of wisdom generated by the above post. Thank you for the time to share that wisdom Frank :!:
Ditto!!
Share the knowledge
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

If there is not sufficient barrel wall thickness for screw in chokes or jug chokes you might want to consider permanent choke sleeves. I see that Mile Orlen offers this service and I am sure Briley will install permanent choke sleeves if there is sufficient barrel wall thickness as well.
bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Frank knows what he is writing about . Thanks, Bobby
Vernal pike

Post by Vernal pike »

Ranmcc

Leave your gun alone and go shoot it. Have fun.

Vernal