20ga CE s/n 30X929 I may have your original buttstock.

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Utah Shotgunner

20ga CE s/n 30X929 I may have your original buttstock.

Post by Utah Shotgunner »

"X" is not intentional. Looks to be double struck and depending how you look at it, it could be 2-3 different numbers.

Reuniting the stock with the gun seems a better outcome than selling it on Gunbroker.
Utah Shotgunner

Re: 20ga CE s/n 30X929 I may have your original buttstock.

TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Thanks UTAH.....yes, we do love and support REUNIONS!!
I believe however that would be a 16b with a a 30X,929 serial #.
Would have to think that third digit has to be a 0, 1 or 2?
Hope somebody here can reclaim that one.
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

OK. Researcher has done the research. 300929 is an A-Grade. The probable winner is 301929 which was a CE-Grade originally made with a full pistol grip and then restocked with a half-pistol grip to fill an order to Belknap Hardware. 302921 to 302930 are all CE-Grades but several cards are missing, including 302929.
Share the knowledge
Utah Shotgunner

TOOL MAN wrote: I believe however that would be a 16b with a a 30X,929 serial #.
Deceased gunsmith shop this came from wrote "20ga A. Fox" on the end of the butt. I compared it to another stock from the same sale marked "16ga Fox Sterlingworth # 357XXX" (X's by deceased 'smith) EDIT: Just found the forend for the Sterlingworth. It has the complete s/n. 357723

The Sterlingworth stock is .020" wider, and .045" taller at the head of the stock. Enough to make a difference? I have no idea.
Researcher wrote:OK. Researcher has done the research. 300929 is an A-Grade. The probable winner is 301929 which was a CE-Grade originally made with a full pistol grip and then restocked with a half-pistol grip to fill an order to Belknap Hardware. 302921 to 302930 are all CE-Grades but several cards are missing, including 302929.

Here are some pics of the serial number. I would have put these up earlier, but I have been buried by listing the items from this estate sale on Gunbroker and Ebay. A friend an myself bought most of the small items from the estate.

Before:

After:
I don't have good photo software, but I kept tweaking the settings until the number appear more legible.
It looks like a "2" to me.