Anyone into Llewellins?

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
Silvers

Anyone into Llewellins?

Post by Silvers »

EDITED 3/30/2014

I had come across a detailed history of the Llewellin setters that was done >100 years ago, and asked if that would be of interest to their owners. Based on the replies (THANK YOU) it seems the history has already been well documented and is readily available. Therefore I won't pursue trying to copy and share this work - which would require a scanner which I don't have.
Last edited by Silvers on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twice Barrel

Re: Anyone into Llewellins?

Post by Twice Barrel »

In 1992 Alfred King published a limited edition book titled the Llewellin Setter, Origin and Historical Development, A Documentary which chronicles in detail the breed. Al has moved since I did business with him in the mid 90s but I think he is still in business under the name of King Llewellin Setters and he may still have books available.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

We have a few books on English Setters that get into their history. You're welcome to peruse them.
nhshooter

Post by nhshooter »

I have and hunt with a 2 1/2 year old pure Field Dog Registered Llewellin Setter. They are great dogs but you need to take care when you purchase one to make sure you are getting a pure Llewellin. I will not get into the past problems with some well know national breeders of Llewellins, but there was some shoddy breeding being done. They are great dogs and a joy to both hunt with and have as a pet. If anyone is interested in finding out more on them please give me a PM and I can direct you to one of the top breeders/trainers in the country when it comes to Llewellins.

Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

It is not often that you see a Llewellin with such a high tail. What is his breeding?
nhshooter

Post by nhshooter »

He does hold his tail high on most points. I think that is pretty individualistic among dogs. One of his brothers holds his tail fairly low compared to my dog. I will have to pull out his papers to give particulars to his line breeding. I took these pictures this winter when we came upon some wintering grouse here in central NH.

Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Beautiful dog, NH. Thanks for the photos. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
nhshooter

Post by nhshooter »

Jim Cloninger wrote:Beautiful dog, NH. Thanks for the photos. Jim
Thanks. He is a really nice dog and hell on birds.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

Wow....that's one classy looking Setter! Very nice.
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

I love Setters! Those Llewellins are pretty dogs. Great hunters AND family companions. Do yours do the "setter drape"? Lounging on the couch with the head hanging off the armrest?
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

Charlie my 9 year old Llewellin isn't allowed on the couch but he owns my recliner when I'm not in it. Right now he is curled up at my side as I type this.
Vernal pike

Post by Vernal pike »

Mr. Silvers,

Mr. Alfred King passed away a number of years ago. He did write "the book" on Llewellen Setters.
Got sloppy with his breeding documentation which stared a big Hub-ub.

Some field trial Llewellens have a high tail that curls so much as a cycle shaped husky tail. Not pretty!

Did my research and decided on the "Dashing Bondhu" line. Other lines have perfectly fine dogs too.
The pics above are of a classic Llewellen. Beautiful specimen of the breed is that dog.

As previously stated, be careful as to whom you choose as a breeder. A llewellen should not weigh 70 pounds as one breeder boasts of his big dogs.
Great natural instinct in the Llewellen with a soft Golden Retriever type personality.

Lots of politics in this breed, not unlike most breeds of dogs where humans screw things up.

Best wishes,

Vernal

Hey New Hampshire,
Is that a Lynnhill bitch?
Twice Barrel

Post by Twice Barrel »

All of my Llewellins have been from Dashing Bondhu lines and trace back to Dr. Bickers kennels in Floyds Knobs, Indiana ( love the name of that town). He imported his breeding stock from Whales and Ireland. All have been wonderful dogs. My current Llewellin "Charlie" is laying at my feet as I type this. My next Llewellin, God willing, will come from a line of Dashing Bondhus bred in South East Kansas by the son of a very close friend.
Vernal pike

Post by Vernal pike »

Twice Barrel wrote:All of my Llewellins have been from Dashing Bondhu lines and trace back to Dr. Bickers kennels in Floyds Knobs, Indiana ( love the name of that town).

Floyds Knobs Indiana is just down the road from the town of "French Lick", where Larry Bird grew up.
Mike Connally

Post by Mike Connally »

This is my Llew,Joy. She's 10 years old and contrary to stereotype she's a big runner. She normally works out to about 200 yards in the woods. She's from Gaines Kennels in Mississippi and sired by Highway Dan.
This photo was taken near Libby Camps in Maine.