Found a rare configuration of a grade B

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
straightshooter

Found a rare configuration of a grade B

Post by straightshooter »

A few weeks ago, I acquired what I believed to be a wonderful example of a classic American shotgun. What I didn't realize at the time, is that it was also a rare build.

It’s an AH Fox 12 ga SxS BLE, with Krupp steel barrels, in good condition. Serial number indicates she was built in 1912. Lots of honest use showing on her, but no abuse. She locks up tight, with the top lever still closing well right of center. Her tubes are bright with a trace of minor pitting in the right barrel. No cracks, dents, or chips. Aftermarket Pachmyer buttpad installed.

As described above, I was confident that I had made a shrewd purchase. When I got her home and started doing some reading, I discovered I had a very rare configuration. This particular Fox is a Grade B. Hardly anybody ordered B grade, so they are quite rare. In addition, the straight or "English" stock was ordered on 15% or fewer of the double guns Fox produced, IIRC. And, the biggest surprise, this gun has 32" barrels. :D

I took it in the field the day after I bought it and dropped a ruffed grouse using Gamebore Pure Gold 2 1/2" smokeless shells. I'm truly blessed to have this gun and the opportunity to play with it!

The details:

Length of pull: 14 3/8"
LOP w/o butt pad: 13 15/16"
Barrels: full 32 inches
Drop at comb: 1.43"
Drop at heel: 2.70"
Left muzzle: .698"
Right muzzle: .697"

The measurements at the muzzle would indicate the chokes are very slightly more open than full choke. This conclusion could change if the exact bore diameter were known. My suspicion is that this gun was ordered as a water-fowler and that this is supported by the 32" barrels and full chokes on both barrels.

The weight of the gun came as a bit of a shock. It weighs in at 8.0975 lbs. :shock: Having hunted with it twice already, I found that this seemed much higher than I would have expected. However, the balance point is between the hands and, despite the long barrels, it handles very well. Using Don Amos' formula for evaluating game gun handling characteristics, this gun scores 2.06691

Semper in excretum sed nil bastardi carborundum
Brian

BE

Post by Brian »

I have a 12 same configuration excpet 28" barrels. Original it was 30" but was barreled with another set a long time ago. done right but not original. Done know if the original were damaged, lost or whatever. Still they are nice guns and I like the early engraving better. more like a CE.

PS: Give me the translation of your latin. I pretty much know what it says but want the exact.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I wouldn't consider first generation B-/BE-Grade 12-gauge guns scarce. There were two for sale at the most recent Spokane gun show -- Bud Stanley had one for $2200 and Hans Hanwerker (sp) had the other, listed in the latest DGJ for $3650. The 16- and 20-gauges guns with the first generation B-/BE- engraving style are very scarce. Likewise I don't find 32-inch barrels on graded 12-gauge Fox guns scarce. No where near as plentiful as 30-inchers, but certainly not scarce.

Looks like you have a gun with a great combination of features -- almost a Pigeon Gun. Enjoy and shoot it in good health.
Share the knowledge
straightshooter

Re: BE

Post by straightshooter »

Brian wrote:PS: Give me the translation of your latin. I pretty much know what it says but want the exact.
"Always in sh*t, but don't let the bastards grind you down!"
Semper in excretum sed nil bastardi carborundum
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

All statements about early Fox scarcity and the availability of 32" barrels should end with "But check back in five years." Caveat Emptor applies to sellers as well as buyers.
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

I certainly don't have the experience of Researcher or others here but my limited knowledge says any grade straight grip 32" is fairly scarce. FWIW

1928 CE Fox 16
Brian

for sellers

Post by Brian »

It would be that Caveat Septor applies to sellers if my extremely limited latin is correct

we had a unit for my unit "NE CONJUGAL NOBISCUM"
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Thanks, Brian, obviously I have trashed all my Latin 1 and Latin 2 texts. I will put the seller beware translation to good use in the future. It's first application will be in my decision to sell or not to sell any 32" Foxes.
FOXIST

Post by FOXIST »

Straightshooter I think that is a very nice Fox. I just love those sleek lines
of the early straight grip guns and they look even nicer with 32" bores. Just ask"Toolman"
how hard those 32" straight grip guns are to find. I know he has been looking for some collector
grade guns for quite some time.
Good luck with that nice BE!! Paul
A FOX GETS THE GAME!
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

I don't have enough experience with these guns to know how rare it is in manufacture but they seem to be rare on the market these days.
It is very nice.
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
Shooter

XE Stright Grip

Post by Shooter »

Oddly enought, there's two 12 ga XE straight grips for sale by two different dealers right now. Both are over $10K. And both certainly out of my price range :( .