Dogs on the bottom of C grades

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
fox-admin
Site Admin

Dogs on the bottom of C grades

Post by fox-admin »

Most of the C grade Foxes I have seen have a Setter engraved on the bottom, I have only seen one C with a Pointer. Anyone else out there have a C with a Pointer?
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Here's one on a CE s/n 106xx that looks more like cross between a pointer and setter. He only has a few scraggly hairs on the bottom of the tail. Dog is facing left.

Another CE I have s/n 320xx is definitely a setter with a full bushy tail and is facing right. Silvers

Last edited by Silvers on Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I tried a blowup. How's this one?

bbman3

Post by bbman3 »

Frank, that is the best looking setter i have ever seen engraved on bottom of a C grade! Bobby
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Nice english setter.

Pete
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Glad I gave you gents a laugh. Yeah I know it's a rendition of a setter but that tail looks a little sparse. Same with the hairs hanging below the body :-) Bobby, maybe it's a "cur dog" as you guys down south call them? Ha ha. In comparison the setter on the later gun leaves no doubt. I'll post a pic once my wife returns with the camera, hopefully later today if the planes get back on schedule.

Some of the early Fox engraving is a little crude. Take a look at the flying duck on the trigger guard bow of the FE grade exhibition gun that's a close serial number mate to Teddy Roosevelt's F grade - page 103 of the DGJ, Summer 2003. Frank
Mark Copeland

Post by Mark Copeland »

Looks like a lewellyn to me.

1928 CE Fox 16
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

I was recently looking at an XE lately that appeared to have a pig engraved on the botton!
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
Charlie Sides

Post by Charlie Sides »

Mine is a setter tail, setter body, and I have absolutely no idea about that head. If it was a setter for sure, he woulda been shot long before reaching the bottom of a C grade fox. I am only hoping he was taken out of the gene pool early on. BTW, serial # is 23496. It might be fun to group our C grade dogs by type and prod date, and see if this was random or changed over time.

[img][img]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/cr ... EBT014.jpg[/img][/img]
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

I have 20 and 16ga CEs with a "setteresque" image facing east like Charlie's on each. I wish I could figure out how in the heck to post pix to this site...promised myself I'd learn for about a year and a half now.
Marshfellow
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
Charlie Sides

posting pics ... my way

Post by Charlie Sides »

1) set up an account with Photobucket. You can google it to find the site. It is FREE.

2) upload pics from your PC to Photobucket.
you will see an area that has a gray BROWSE button on the Photobucket page. Hit the button and it takes you to your PC, select the pic to upload and doubleclick on it. It picks up the address of the pic and puts it in the box beside of the BROWSE button.

3) find the UPLOAD button on the Photobucket screen and hit it. Your pic will appear in your album.

4) When you post on the Fox message board, hit the img button at the top of the screen. Then go to Photobucket and find your pic to post. under the pic there will be 4 lines of computer code.

click on the one that starts with IMG (easy ain't it), it will say COPIED.

5) come back to your post and beside the [img] hit and hold down the control key and hit the V key. This will paste the photobucket pic address to your post.

6) hit submit

7) when you get stuck, just tell us where you are and we will send the calvary.

Charlie
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Charlie, thanks for taking the the time to do that for me. I am going to pour myself a jigger of bourbon and give it a go.....on second thought, I'll forgo the bourbon till after I have success....don't need to muddy the water any further. Marshfellow
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I thought I would delete my William Gough anecdote in the interest of keeping my member status intact.
Charlie Sides

Post by Charlie Sides »

Very nice #2 pic. That dog will hunt.
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

Foxist,
That dog in #2 is great, I would love to see the rest of the gun.
Thanks for showing that it certainly put mine to shame!
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.