Super Fox marking

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
MARSHFELLOW

Super Fox marking

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Has anybody ever seen this marking on a Super Fox.... or any Fox before? I have not.

32" barrels, Kautzky trigger (intermediate)....heavy son of a gun, 9# 10oz.

tjw

[/Image
][/iImage
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
bbman3

Re: Super Fox marking

Post by bbman3 »

Never.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Is it 29092 that shipped to Remington Arms Co., Inc.? Looks like a July 1925 Remington repair code.
Share the knowledge
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Thanks fellas.

No Dave, great thought though!! #29544

tjw
mhead

Post by mhead »

I haven't seen that mark either. One of my HEs has no grade stamps at all on the barrels or action .Has anyone else seen one with no marks.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Not me.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Tom, is there anything special about the chambers, cones, bores or chokes? Bore OverSize by .003"? I'm thinking that "OS3" stamping looks like it was applied sometime after the gun was assembled ..... there seems to be some displaced metal which likely would have been polished smooth before bluing, had the stamp been applied at early assembly time. The "0" barrel weight stamps are smooth as I would expect. Lastly, the "3" is not the regular Fox font as used in serial numbers.

Mike, like others I haven't seen a genuine HE that didn't have the the Fox font "H" stamps on the frame bar and the barrel flats. I suppose one could have slipped out of the factory without stamping; and in that case a record card check and the special H Grade frame engraving would confirm.

Both of these inputs are ime. Frank
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

To whom was the gun shipped. Maybe we'll recognize the name and connect him with Remington. I'm with Dave, Remington repair code.
Don Ay

Post by Don Ay »

mhead wrote:I haven't seen that mark either. One of my HEs has no grade stamps at all on the barrels or action .Has anyone else seen one with no marks.
one of mine is not marked with grade just the 0 weight barrels and the "not guaranteed etc." has a 1923 era serial but was shipped in 28'
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

The gun was shipped to HJ Hogg that's why it weights 9-10!!!
mhead

Post by mhead »

Thanks Frank and Don mine has a 23 era serial as well i believe . just with the O on the barrels . it cards as HE just no markings
xewizzard

Post by xewizzard »

The subject stamp looks like a Remington "return" stamp to me. I handled a Parker AA 20 which had 3 sets of similar stamps on the barrels. I have an HE 29578 30" that weighs 9# 7oz. They made them heavy that year.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Silvers, I agree with your take on the stamp. Really did not strike me as "Fox looking font"....but doesn't looked cobbed either... don't know. I will check my measurements later today, theyre at the office.

Craig isn't kidding.....it went to H.G. Hogg. Hey Murphy, was he famous??

XE, I wouldn't disagree with you & Dave, it does look Remington like..... cant imagine why it would have ever been THERE for a repair.

Thanks boys.
MARSHFELLOW

Post by MARSHFELLOW »

Silvers, got the measurements. As I said before I am not a gunsmith and do not have AA+ gauges but I get darn close.
RT bbl .741 43k choke mwt 45K
Lft bbl .740 44 k choke mwt 44k

Anything seem out of the ordinary?

tjw
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Tom, those measurements are within HE Grade parameters. Just based on the s/n this gun was likely made about when Fox reduced SF bore sizing from (nominals) .750" to .740". Maybe that's a factory R&D code or similar? I suppose most anything is possible but I can't imagine a scenario wherein Remington worked on this gun within a few months of its likely date of mfr. :? Frank