Bo Whoop revisited

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

Bo Whoop revisited

Post by Silvers »

Those who take Sporting Classics should enjoy the article Bo Whoop, The Enduring Mystique by Mike Gaddis in the new autumn extra-thick issue that's just out. The article summarizes much pertinent info on Mr. Buck, Burt Becker, Bo Whoop, and the speculation and many perplexities still surrounding the Fox with s/n 31088. There's even reference in the article to information gleaned from our Fox website. I really like Supers and have studied them extensively, and did spot one very minor discrepancy in a first-through read, but that didn't detract from the excellent article in whole.

In addition, the autumn issue has many reader favorite classic stories by Corey Ford (Road to Tinkhamtown), Nash Buckingham (De Shootinest Gent'man), Jack O'Connor, Michael McIntosh, Archibald Rutledge, Robert Ruark, T. Roosevelt, Capstick, Hemingway, etc etc. Those who don't subscribe can probably find it in the larger bookstores. I am not connected with Sporting Classics... just suggesting what I think is an excellent issue, worthy of a sportsman's bookcase. Just the thing for long winter evenings while sipping your favorite whatever. Silvers
xewizzard

Re: Bo Whoop revisited

Post by xewizzard »

Frank - Yes the "Sporting Classics" article on Mr. Buckingham and Bo Whoop is indeed a good one. Thanks for bringing it to light.

Great pic of Nash looking fondly at his Setter Dan. My favorite piece in "De Shootinest Gent'man" is "Sell Ol' Dan?".

Bill
loggy

Post by loggy »

I have been a subscriber to Sporting Classics for a number of years. The magazine reminds me of the Sports Afield, Outdoor Life and Field and Stream magazines that I read as a kid. I had the good fortune to handle the Buckingham gun in Vegas and would like to believe it was the real deal. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Thanking you kind suh's. I agree, Sporting Classics reminds me of the magazines of my youth. I've been a subscriber for many years.

My all time favorite piece in De Shootingest Gent'man book is The Family Honor.... story of Buck, Marse Henry and the courageous Chesapeake Pat who showed her stuff in heavy ice on the last day.
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

I finally got around to reading Mike Gaddis' article. It was well reseached. While clearly he doesn't know much about Fox guns, the Fox factory operations or Burt Becker and some of his speculations are easily dismissed, I have always rested firmly in the speculative camp regarding the resurrection of the so called "Bo Whoop". NB had a number of HEs and he and Henry Bartholomew clearly were keeping Fox (and their contractor, Becker) busy in the late 1920s building variations on the HE theme. One thing has always especially bothered me- this gun was a Fox factory produced gun as evidenced by the order card. There is NO doubt in my mind that the gun would have left the factory with the normal XE grade "A.H. Fox Gun Co. Phila., Pa" on its barrel. Perhaps, if not roll stamped, even engraved on the opposite barrel "Made for Nash Buckingham of Chromox Fluid Steel" thus accounting for "his name on the left barrel". This gun was a Fox factory gun of the 1920s not a custom Becker Fox of the 1931-1950 era. Perhaps this was struck off and the crude stamping put on later...perhaps not. One pity is, they at least should have checkered the stock in a XE grade pattern :cry:
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

We went through this before. Back in the original Derrydale edition of Ole Miss' Bo Whoop is pictured in normal XE-Grade livery with the Jostam Hy-Gun pad --

Then we see this picture of Nash with Bo Whoop with the missing tip inlay --

Sometime in the 30s Nash is pictured with this gun shown as Bo Whoop with the ivory forearm inlay of a Becker stocking job --

My take on all this is that Bo Whoop visited Burt Becker's shop some years after it left North 18th Street and Windrim Avenue and was restocked, in my speculation, to match Nash's Bartholomew gun. Since Nash's time with it, his Bartholomew gun has gotten a safety and been restocked with a pistol grip.
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Speaking of well known and documented Super Foxes---does anyone know if Tom Kidd still owns the Crossman HE/XE??---and does anyone know where 30069 the HE/XE that Headrick owned is?? I sure would love to see these guns.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Researcher, which is the "Bartholomew Gun"? Which gun had no safety at the time of its manufacture, surely not Bo Whoop, according to the card. Is Mr. Kaas implying that the newly found Bo Whoop is a renumbered gun with spurious stamps on the barrel?
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Nash's Bartholomew gun was 33050, covered by Tom Kidd in The Double Gun Journal, Volume Seven, Issue 2, probably shown in its original livery the lower gun in the photo from Ole Miss'.
Share the knowledge
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

Without mystery there would be no dreams.
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.