Earley black & white catalog

Use this section to discuss Fox paper, catalog's, advertising and such.

Earley black & white catalog

Post by 200052 »

These are so unusual, I'm still trying to digest it. If any one else has one of
the series, I'd really like to comunicate with you. Ed Farrand

Researcher

Re: Earley black & white catalog

Post by Researcher »

Great find Ed!! I've never had one in my hands. So, is this the "pocket" catalogue equivalent of the Campfire "art" catalogue No. 22? The one pictured in Firearms & Tackle Memorabilia, by John Delph, doesn't have the No. 22 on the cover.

Might it be the equivalent of a different edition of the Campfire catalogue?
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

WOW Great find!! Craig

Post by 200052 »

Dave/Craig; I'll tell you where I got it later. It did not come for free; about the same as either
the fuzzy green or unnumbered first "Campfire catalogs several years ago.
The interior is typically Fox. Several pages of the usual mechanical text, a picture and
page for each grade. The color is that faded color as found in the non- glossy early 20's
pocket catalogs. I, also, am assuming the 22 on the cover relates it to No.22 " Campfire".
In this version the C grade has the oval pattern and the B grade has woodcock, so
it seems to be being updated match the rising "Campfires.
I'd welcome any further wisdom . ED
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

It doesn't seem that any of us see enough of these "Finest Gun in the World" catalogues to get a good handle on what exists. From what I know, the earliest greenish kraft paper with raised gold lettering "Finest Gun in the World" catalogue, which I believe to be 1905-06, has 16 numbered pages, shows the A-, B-, and C-Grades, lists the D- and F-grades, has the Wayne & Bristol Steets address on page 14 and the back of the order blank, and the C-Grade is shown with the banner on the side. The next cataloge I know of, which I believe to be 1906-07, also 16 numbered pages, pictures the A-, B-, C- (with oval) and D-grades and lists the F-grade, only has Philadelphia, PA., U.S.A. for the address on page 14, and has the 18th Street and Windrim Avenue address on the back of the order blank.

Another green and gold "Finest Gun in the World" catalogue I know of, is exactly picture for picture and word for word, a smaller version of the "Signature" Campfire catalogue (believed to be 1907), and like the "Signature" Campfire catalogue the pages are unnumbered --

Perplexing thing about this catalogue is that it came in an envelope with cover letter dated 1909 and the envelope was postmarked 1909.
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Beautiful examples thanks guys for sharing, I love the quality of these old catalogs. I would love to have a green signature catalog for my collection. Craig