New Era Shotgun Shells

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
huntermn

New Era Shotgun Shells

Post by huntermn »

Does anyone on the board have any experience with New Era low pressure shotshells? They have a 2 1/2" 16 that i am thinking of tryiing...

http://neweraammunition.com
Twice Barrel

Re: New Era Shotgun Shells

Post by Twice Barrel »

You might check in at the 16GA.com board. They have several posters there that have used New Era that are quite happy with the product and service.
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

At the 16 ga. shoot in Ohio, last summer,Brian from New Era gave us all a box of his low pressure 2 1/2" shells. As of yet, I haven't fired any. One of the guys that shot with us had a pre-1913 L.C.Smith in one of the higher grades and the New Eras were what he was shooting. From what I saw, they would certainly break targets. Brian himself shot them in his Parker VH and I didn't hear any duds that day.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
Ted Huff

Post by Ted Huff »

I have several cases of both 12 and 16 and find them to be very soft shooters. Brian was in the room next to mine a couple years age at the UP shoot and I bought all the 16's he had left when we were leaving. I bought more last year. You won't find a nicer person or a better shell. He'll even run special loads if you call him.

I just wish he would start running 20's.
huntermn

Post by huntermn »

Thanks Guys,

I was able to scratch up enough ammo at the Buda Texas Cabelas to get me through the last week or so. It was a classic doubles load of english 7's, 1oz in 2 1/2" over 2 3/4 drams. It shot pretty good. The chambers in my gun have been opened to 2 3/4 i now know, and my gunsmith suggested I shoot some of the federal 1oz, 1165 fps, 2 3/4, 2 1/2 drams, in alternate barrels with the known low pressure load, and "see how it feels and sounds". He said that "generally" federal uses a slower burning powder in this particular load, but not always. The federal load shot REALLY really well in hunting situations this past weekend, with virtually no difference in report or recoil. He said if they felt okay, to make sure and buy shells from that lot.

Patterned both rounds, and the federal patterned a little more uniformly in this particular gun. Called Federal about chamber pressure, and the tech weenie said that they were "up to" 11,500 psi. Being pressed he held the company line for a good while, and did say that that particular load could probably be anywhere in the range of 7900psi up to 11.500 psi. "quite a range!"

Think I will order some of the New Era's, and RST's for target shooting, and hunt with the federals. Though, now i wonder if the 2 1/2 "ers will seal properly in my lengthened chambers.

All that being said, I have shot o/u's in both clays and live bird competitions for years, while shooting sxs's hunting. I am shooting this 16 at about 85% on doves, after just six outings. Might have to build a "clone" 12 Ga sterly to this gun for live bird competitions..

By the way, new member here...how do you access the members forums?
studdog

Post by studdog »

Brian at New Era is a class guy. I have used his Ammo in both vintage and other doubles with great sucess. His loads pattern great.