Information on dads guns

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
dj280sl

Information on dads guns

Post by dj280sl »

Trying to clear out some of my dads guns for mom, most are new hunting type guns but one seems very old and is in great shape. Double barrel side by side one of the barrel says AH fox gun co Philla PA, the other said something about steel. Sterlingworth is stamped on both sides. Serial number is six digits starting 3658. I think it is 16 ga as it is smaller then his 12ga guns. Any info would help. Also it looks as if it could be fired, should I fire the gun?
fullchoke16

Post by fullchoke16 »

You are correct in the assumption that it is indeed a 16 ga. By the serial no.,it was manufactured in 1929. Sterlingworths as well as graded Fox guns were made of modern steels and would be safe to use with current 1oz. ammo. The chambers in a Philla. gun will be short (2 9/16) and will make the gun recoil a bit more than 2 3/4" chambers. Though it may look good,as always, have it checked by a competent gunsmith before use.That's probably the heirloom gun of the bunch that you've described. Take good care of it.
Recoil is most noticed when I miss
1straightshot

Re: Information on dads guns

Post by 1straightshot »

dj280sl wrote:Trying to clear out some of my dads guns for mom,
If you mean you are looking to sell this gun,please give me a (pm) email.I would be interested in it.Thanks!