XE Grade Engraving

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
studdog

XE Grade Engraving

Post by studdog »

I'm looking at a 1918 XE Grade that has engraving on the muzzle end of the barrels as well as back by the breech. Engraving looks like the same pattern in both places. Does anyone know if that was a fctory option on this era gun? Any info appreciated. George
Silvers

Re: XE Grade Engraving

Post by Silvers »

If I were looking at that XE I'd get a quickie card check to see if the manufacturing card shows that engraved muzzles were ordered. Alternately, you can post some pics, and get opinions from the gents here. However the latter is not "proof positive", and a card reference or a factory letter from Mr. John Callahan are the only credible documentations. Factory letters are way cool and worth the investment, but will take some weeks to get a JTC letter and it sounds like you need to make a relatively quick buy decision.

Paying members are allotted one free card check per year, and that is done on the Members Forum which is here in phantom, and is only enabled when you pay your dues and sign on with your password. On-line membership signup directions are shown on the sticky in this forum that, currently, is directly above this thread. Silvers
Aan
studdog

Post by studdog »

Thanks for your reply to my post. I sent in My membership info last week. Craig has not yet received it. I'm not a Fox expert but in my limited review of lots of A H Fox guns I've never seen barrel wedges of engraving. Barrels have all the regular markings except barrel weight number. The gun has been reblued and restocked at some time in the past. Engraving on breech end and barrel end seem to match. All serial numbers also match. My uneducated guess is it was original. It also has a raised vent rib.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

George, your description sounds familiar.... this may not be the same XE, but I came across a similar sounding one that was restocked, reblued, had engraving at the muzzles, and a vent rib. An older gent down south in TN, KY, NC (memory rusty) had it for sale a year or so ago. He wasn't able to take digital pics but did send me some hard pics, but unfortunately none of them showed the top of the gun and the vent rib. Restocking was nice but a little radical for my tastes, and the price was way too high. I didn't pursue getting pics of the rib to see if it was original or retrofitted, and I sent the hard ones back to the gent when I passed.

I don't have that gun's serial number in my records but it was in the same range as the one you just requested a copy for, in the Members Forum. JFWIW. Silvers
studdog

Post by studdog »

Silvers, I am sure that's the same gun. I'm sure it has no collectors value because of the rework. I'm going to clean it up and have it fitted to me for a shooter. It is a much prettier in person than the pics. With a little TLC It will be beautiful. The diamond on the grip cap has to go! George