Assessing a good buy or not?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
yankee57

Assessing a good buy or not?

Post by yankee57 »

Hi, I'm new to this site and the Fox world but love collecting old SXS's. Could use some more experience in my assessment, I recently came across a Fox 12ga C grade SN 195xx stainless steel Krupp stamped on barrels. gun looks brand new except for some stock scrapes and marks, receiver looks more like chrome with engraving than what I'm used to seeing. I am assuming the gun may have been restored given condition also just a slight bit loose on the action? the price is $2650 my research indicates that this gun should range between $2600-$2000 depending on excel or VG. would stock scrapes make it VG? Am I on the right course? How do I factor in restoration to value? and what if it is original?
bbman3

Re: Assessing a good buy or not?

Post by bbman3 »

Glad to have you! I have never seen barrels stamped stainless steel.Krupp yes.Do you mean barrels are highly polished and look like stainless? Good pictures of the gun will really help. Bobby
yankee57

Post by yankee57 »

Hi Bobby thxs for the reply, sorry it's stamped Krupp Fluid Steel made by AH Fox. Gun just looks too sic & span for its age, very shiny receiver, barrels deep blue and unblemished not sure the price matches this fine condition. what am I missing?

TD
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

Many Fox action appear bright when the case colors fade. However, the key to assessing the value of a C grade is the state of the very fine engraving typical of that model. (I've probably owned 10+ of them over the years) If the engraving remains sharp and the barrels are in sound condition, I would buy every C grade I could find for $2500 that didn't have 3" or more D@H and/or short barrels. If the engraving is worn or pitted, they are not worth the trouble as they are fairly common in 12 gauge. I don't know where you do your "research" but $2500 won't buy you much of a C grade even in today's soft market. Best of luck. :wink:
yankee57

Post by yankee57 »

thxs for your insights.

TD
yankee57

Post by yankee57 »

any tips on identifying restoration on this gun and the impact on value?
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

You got very good advice from Lawyer Kaas. One thing I'd add, concerning the blue on the barrels, is A H Fox guns seem to hold their blue better than most other guns, IMO. Fox evidently had the barrel bluing down pat, as I have seen many Foxes with original barrel blue that was higher condition than the other finishes on the gun. I can understand how someone new to Foxes could think that the bluing had been redone, when it was really original.

SRH
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Need good pictures