Inherited 2 fox shotguns, need help IDing

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
pgrimes43

Inherited 2 fox shotguns, need help IDing

Post by pgrimes43 »

I inherited two A.H Fox shotguns. One is a little different from the other... both have serial numbers on them. Neither is in good working order, they have not seen the light of day for 40 years.
It looks like some parts are "frozen", eg the safety and firing pin on one, and the wood assembly piece? (it has springs...) on the other.

Serial numbers 18155 and 30048H (or H30048). I have attached photos of one of the two guns.

My question is, what do I do with them? Do I find a gunsmith to repair them, and if so are there certain gunsmiths who can and cannot fix these? Do I sell them? Shoot them? ( I do shoot a shotgun now and then )
Put them in a glass case?

Please help me better understand the importance and value these.

Much appreciated
2X2

Re: Inherited 2 fox shotguns, need help IDing

Post by 2X2 »

First, don't get hasty about getting things "fixed" by some schluk who thinks he is a gunsmith and end up losing a lot of value on the guns. No photos came through. Try again.
What city do you live in. Someone here may be able to recommend someone.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Here is a link to thread with instructions for photo posting --

http://foxcollectors.com/My%20Forum/php ... f=2&t=3033

If you still have trouble posting photos you can email them to me at AHFCA@comcast.net

I seem to be developing a cottage industry of doing this. Just did several over on the Remington Society of America forums.
Share the knowledge
ahfoxman

Post by ahfoxman »

Hello pgrimes43, Congratulations on your good fortune. Be careful with 30048 H, as I believe it is a HE Long Range gun equipped with a Single Selective Trigger, Full Pistol Grip and Silvers Pad, that was one of a pair built and shipped in the mid 20's. It is a valuable gun! As suggested in an earlier post, take your Fox Guns to a capable and HONEST gunsmith for advice and help. Don't be in a hurry to dispose of them, as that can lead to one ending up with the foul end of the stick. Always Remember: Life is Good, Treat it with Respect!
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

If you go to our homepage http://www.foxcollectors.com and page through the "Fox Gun Grades" you should be able to identify the grades of your guns. The homepage also has a section entitled "Identification of grades" which should be helpful.
loggy

Post by loggy »

Fox no 33050 and 33051 were also Superfox guns ( H grade). They were built for Henry Bartholomew/Nash Buckingham and were featured in the summer 1996 issue of the Doublegun Journal. Perhaps there is some tie? You are one lucky fellow to inherit such a gun. Have a great day
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

loggy,

pgrimes' gun is 30048, not 33048. Were you mistaken on the second digit? Or, am I missing a connection? (I know, I'm missing several connections upstairs, but, you know what I mean!)

Stan
Scott

Post by Scott »

18155 shows up on the Griffin and Howe site. You may want to check it there also.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
loggy

Post by loggy »

Stan, You are right. I saw the last two serial numbers and went off "half cocked"-John