Flat Sided Sterlingworth Pictures

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
fox-admin
Site Admin

Flat Sided Sterlingworth Pictures

Post by fox-admin »

I added some pictures provided by member Scott from western NY of a very interesting very late so called flat sided Sterlingworth. Craig
http://foxcollectors.com/sw%20flatside.htm
ASavageFox

Re: Flat Sided Sterlingworth Pictures

Post by ASavageFox »

cool!
Cheers!
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

Never saw one before. Are the internals any different?
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Scott

Post by Scott »

The internals look the same. The serial number has this built in 1932 but I think these were built later. I have sent for a letter on it and I will post it when it arrives. This is the 4th one I have seen in 35 years.
I did see one about 50 numbers higher recently and the Left barrel was marked Savage Arms Corp Utica NY, however the stock had been replaced on that gun.
Last edited by Scott on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

There has been one for sale on GB for months... serial on it is... 132902... sorry no link... board policy.

If it had been in slightly better shape I would have considered it as it is a unique SW....
Cheers!
al

Post by al »

There is one also on GA seriel # 132xxx
Scott

Post by Scott »

The letter arrived today.
Grade- Sterlingworth Trap
Gauge-12
Barrels 30" Choked Modifed and Full
Stock- Walnut, 14" LOP, 2 3/4" Drop at Heel
Your Sterlingworth was completed on June 29 1939
Mr Callahan writes,
" There are features about this gun do not agree with the record card. The Sterlingworth Trap doubles were made with a 32" barrel choked Full and Full. The Sterlingworth standard is specified to have a 30" barrel. I have heard about Flat sided Sterlingworths, but there is no entry to confirm a Flat sided frame. This gun, because it was made just before Savage discontinued manufacture of A.H. Fox doubles, may have simply been assembled from available components to fill an order."
The original consignee is not listed.
When I fix my scanner I will attach the letter.
Scott
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Obviously not a Trap, but the letter is interesting. Are these flat sided non SP guns very rare or very coveted? I saw one this weekend, can't remember the price, but the seller was a bit proud of it. It also was 30". I did not record the serial number. I know of another flat side for sale locally that is not an interesting gun.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Years ago I requested a letter from Roe Clark on a 30-inch barrel flat-side Fox-Sterlingworth in the 132xxx range that I'd examined at the old George Mason University gun show. It too was recorded on a Sterlingworth Trap card even though it was a 30-inch barrel gun?!? Roe did say the Trap was crossed out. It was near mint, and I've wished ever since I'd bought it. I've recorded eight 30-inch barrel Fox-Sterlingworths built on the flat-sided frames from 132788 to 132902. I've recorded a 28-inch barrel SP-framed Fox-Sterlingworth in the 1380xx range and a 26-inch barrel one in the 1613xx range.

In the 133xxx range all the Fox-sterlingworths I've recorded are on the drawbolt frames. In the 134xxx range they are all Fox-Sterlingworth Wildfowls, and all from 103-130. Then in the 135xxx range all the guns I've recorded are Skeet & Upland Game Guns.
Share the knowledge
Scott

Post by Scott »

eightbore,
I think the Flatsides are interesting, as to value I think at this time not alot of collectors even know about them. As more collectors learn about them they may want one
since they did not make many they may bring a premium. Only time will tell.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Rarity - and therefore potential value - aside, the flat-framed Foxes (gee; Mrs. Park would be proud of my use of alliteration) just don't have the same flair; that sculpted receiver is part of what makes a Fox a Fox. Just one humble opinion...
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Me thinks they were done to capitalize on the Sterlingworth name without providing the same quality product. I wouldn't be going out of my way to look for one for sure.