single selective triggers

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
ASavageFox

single selective triggers

Post by ASavageFox »

IS there more than one type of single selective trigger used on early graded fox shotguns? I am used to the selection button being located right next to the trigger but recently saw a gun with the selection button next to the safety??

Thanks! I did a search frist but could not find anything about this.
Cheers!
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

I understand the Fox-Kautzky trigger was the only factory offering. Its shift button is inside the trigger guard bow. The "Infallible" - manufactured by Lancaster Arms Company - was available as an aftermarket upgrade single trigger as early as 1912. Its shift button is adjacent to the opening lever, not as far back as the safety button. At least one expert has written it was never offered directly by Fox.

Maybe Dave or someone will chime in about the Miller single trigger. I have never seen one on a Fox and I don't know where the shift button is located. Silvers
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

I believe this gun has the Infallible trigger.

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi ... =137482491

Mike
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

this may have been the one that I saw... does changing the trigger out require a new butt stock...clearly this one has been changed and does not fit very well....
Cheers!
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Yep that's an Infallible trigger. Nope, installing one doesn't require changing out the buttstock. As noted that one is ill fitted and the checkering pattern looks atypical to my eye. I also see one of the ejector guide pins is broken off. Silvers
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

thanks for the info...

I knew the gun was not right but I totally missed the guide pin missing.... too bad too, fair amount of what appears to me to be original case on that one...
Cheers!
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Regarding the Miller trigger design; I just had an email from a friend who is familiar with them. He wrote "the selection is in the safety, ctr is safe, forward is rt bbl and back is lft bbl, all in the movement of the safety. Some of the earlier Millers had the selection in the trigger guard, which was not as easy to use".

Back to the BE referred to in this post. The missing guide pin is no problem to get repaired. I've replaced a bunch of them. The gun might have possibilities for proper restocking if it were priced right. Silvers
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

The Miller trigger with the selector in the trigger guard is the later one. The tang safety selector is the earlier variety.
mc15426378

Post by mc15426378 »

I may be wrong (usually am) but to me the stock on this gun looks to be cracked in the head, internally. To me the cheeks stick out too far which, to me, is an indication of a stock being cracked internally allowing the cheeks to pooch out.

Mike
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

You are right, you may be wrong. As the seller states the stock was replaced. It is not factory and just looks proud of the action to me. Checkering, shaping, the cheeks, the nose of the comb, etc. nothing looks Fox on it but it actually may look better in personal and be functionally sound...
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

It seems the seller has read our posts on this gun and edited its description to include the Infallible trigger, replaced buttstock, broken guide pin. Very good! Frank
ASavageFox

Post by ASavageFox »

Silvers wrote:It seems the seller has read our posts on this gun and edited its description to include the Infallible trigger, replaced buttstock, broken guide pin. Very good! Frank
Yeah I emailed him to give hm the information... the gun's on consignment from a widow and the husband set the price before he passed so.... ugly situation... I provided him a few links to B and BE guns that were currently for sale and several that had sold in the last year and wished him the best...
Cheers!