Whats up w/ my chokes?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
nca225

Whats up w/ my chokes?

Post by nca225 »

I received my factory letter today... thanks Mr. Callahan! Turns out I have a 16ga "Brush" model. But now I have some more questions. Fox's records indicate that this was choked IC & M. My choke gauge indicates that its IC & Full. What could account for the difference? Is this common w/ vintage barrels because of the different materials used in ammo back in the day?

Thanks,
Chris
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

I am sure you are aware of this but choke constriction is in relation to the bore size. If you are using a drop in gauge it is only measuring the size of the barrel at the muzzle. If you have a bore gauge and you are measuring the difference in the constriction at the muzzle and the actual bore size you will most likely see a difference closer to Modified.

All of that said the only real measurement is on the patterning board with the shell you intend to use.

Hope that helps to muddy the waters :roll:
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
scaupman

Accuracy of Fox order cards/Callahan Letter?

Post by scaupman »

x
Last edited by scaupman on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Often times it appears that the figures entered on a production card is what they were aiming for. Quite often there are numbers penciled in along the bottom margin of the card that we believe to be the actual finished numbers. Quite often guns were made up for stock, and when an order came in another "Fox Special" card was filled out for the modifications. I happened to luck into a gun that had both of the cards still in the file, a very rare occurrance. There is also the very real possibility of the gun being back to the factory for modifications and that sort of thing wasn't recorded in the records that we have surviving. The information on the cards is a pretty good indication, but it certainly isn't bullet proof. Each gun really needs to speak for itself.

Also, many of these cards are very hard to read. The card for my XE-Grade is that way and the original Roe Clark letter I got with the gun states 2 3/4 inch drop-at-heel. Roe even said in the letter that the card was very dark and hard to read. The gun in fact has 2 3/8 inch DAH and I'm convinced Roe misread the 8 as a 4.

Probably the only way to be 100% sure is have Antony build you a new one!
Share the knowledge
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

x
Last edited by scaupman on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nca225

Post by nca225 »

Birdawg,

You shouldn't assume so much about me. I really don't know much about barrels and its a safe bet that you guys probably forgot more knowledge about vintage doubles then I'll ever learn. :)

I'm trying to grasp this in my head... Your right, I'm using the type of gauge that drops down in the muzzle down to the appropriate choke slot. My 16ga choke gauge starts at full and goes to cylinder. When I measure the supposed Modified barrel, I cant even get the gauge to fit it, from which I might be drawing the incorrect conclusion that the barrel is actually choked tighter then Full. For the IC barrel, my gauge goes in right up to the IC slot and fits in nicely.

So if my muzzle constriction is so tight that I cant get my gauge to drop in, then how could the barrel be choked at Modified?
Last edited by nca225 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

I have a gun that I have both the original hang tag and the factory card. This gun was made for stock. The card says 7lbs 8oz the hang tag says 7lbs 7oz.it weights 7lbs 8oz. The drop at heel on the card says 3", the hang tag says 2 7/8", the gun measures 3". The card says F/F, the hang tag says M/F, the gun measures IM/XF. (.028/.041). Everything else matches up. :roll:
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

Find someone with a proper bore gauge. The drop in choke gauge is not an accurate way to measure chokes especially on small bore antique doubles. So before you get more upset, get the right tool for the job. My first Fox (45 years ago) was a 16g Sterlingworth 26" "Brush" model. Good Luck with yours... :wink:
nca225

Post by nca225 »

Thanks for the tip DG. I'm feeling more confused then upset. To add to my confusion, when I had her out to the skeet range a while back, she shot really well being ontop of the clays like white on rice. I really didnt think that I would of been such a good shot w/ the full barrel. :?

-Chris
DGKaas

Post by DGKaas »

In 1928 Nash Buckingham and Hal Sheldon visited the Campfire Club in Westchester Cty, NY and shot skeet for the first time. Nash shot 98/100 with the first Bo Whoop. Not many guns shot tighter than Bo Whoop... :shock: