Page 1 of 1
A BITTER SWEET ANNIVERSARY
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2025 5:56 pm
by 1steve7301
I have a very bitter sweet anniversary coming up on October 1, the opening day of bird hunting season here in New Hampshire. On that day in 2019 my Lew, Star at age 8 passed after he threw a blood clot from bowel obstruction surgery. Thank goodness in 2017 I had purchased his brother who is six years his junior. I only had him seven years, but they were great memories hunting with him. His younger brother, Cody, is his equal in every respect. When Cody and I hunt on opening day we will dedicate it to Star. Star is the mostly white lew, and Cody is a true try color.
Re: A BITTER SWEET ANNIVERSARY
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2025 11:37 pm
by DarylC
Beautiful Steve.
Re: A BITTER SWEET ANNIVERSARY
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2025 6:54 am
by TRAVNTALL
I know you miss your buddy but somehow he will find his way back in another body.
Re: A BITTER SWEET ANNIVERSARY
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2025 1:39 pm
by vaturkey
I hunted behind Star many many years ago up in NH with Steve. Nice, well mannered dog and a superstar in the looks department. I was truly sad when Steve told me he had passed.
For those looking for a nice breeder, this is where Steve's dogs came from. Also a lady guide who I know quite well has 2 of Jornada's setters on her guide string. They are proven performers.
https://www.jornadasetters.com/
Re: A BITTER SWEET ANNIVERSARY
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2025 5:45 pm
by 1steve7301
Tom, Thanks. We did have fun those two days in Pittsburg, NH. And Dennis Hammett of Jornada Setters is a wonderful breeder who cares about his dogs and does things right. I have been to his kennel twice, to pick up Star and Cody, and have become friends with him. He participates with UC Davis on a genetic breeding program. Great guy and great dogs.
Re: A BITTER SWEET ANNIVERSARY
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2025 11:35 am
by Foxnut
Steve, sorry about Star. He was an exceptionally good looking dog w/confirmation to boot! It’s tough when we lose our hunting partners like that! Glad that you and Cody will be celebrating Star’s legacy on opening day!