More Duck Call Stuff

Use this forum to post pictures of hunting with your Fox.
MKB

More Duck Call Stuff

Post by MKB »

Pertaining to the post about AH Fox duck calls including articles about Dudley Faulk duck calls. The first calls made by Clarence (Patin) Faulk in the mid 1930's were cane (bamboo) calls. They had a single reed made of metal. His son, Dudley worked with his father making canes with a few wood and some of the first plastics. I knew Dudley casually and most of the time he was in the garage turning calls.To me the cane calls were the best. They were easy to tune and easy to blow once you figured out how to hold them. To this day you can still buy the cane calls but they just are not the same quality. Plastic calls with double and triple plastic reeds sound good but in Southwest Louisiana along the gulf coast marshes and rice fields the double reeds will choke after a half hour or so. You have to dry between the reeds for them to work properly. I have used Faulk calls since the 1970's and if I had to choose it would be canes along with a Sterly 12 with 30" IC/LM chokes. Pics and more text will be coming later. Kent Barras(MKB).
Stan Hillis

Re: More Duck Call Stuff

Post by Stan Hillis »

Pics posted for Kent ........

As Kent provides more narrative I will post additional hunting pics for him ........
MKB

Post by MKB »

Stan, thanks for posting! Top pic shows 4 Faulk calls. Right to left, first is a wooden pintail, widgeon, greenwing teal call. It was sold as a pintail call. I drilled a hole, in the label area, to make the 3 note widgeon sound and if you partially covered the hole it can sound like a greenwing. Next is a cane (bamboo) call, one of Mr.Faulks early calls. I got this in 1970 and IMO is the best call to use. Next is a newer cane call used as a back up. Next is a non- Faulk cane call made in Gueydan, Louisiana, the self proclaimed duck capital of the world. This is unique because it is inscribed Chien Caille. This means Quail Dog in French. Duck dog would be Chien Canard. The next pic is with 6 Calls . Left to right, the brown plastic Duck Commander Bluewing call. Trick to this one is to NOT follow the directions on the back of the packaging. I will start with 1 slightly lower tone and slighter longer, then 6 shorter, higher tones as fast as I can with all 6 notes the same tone. If the teal appear to be skittish and are looking at meeting other ducks on the water, I blow the same as earlier except do 10 vs 6. if still a little uncertain of coming in then about half way through the next call , blow harder and a lot more excited. You may need to repeat this a few times. Then when they are about 75-100 yards out, blow a low, slower 3 note call.This is what a bluewing hen on the water will do. I think the teal are thinking they need to see what is making all that racket and come on in. The green and black plastic call is a PS OLT coyote/fox call. This can be tuned to sound as close to possible as a specklebelly goose. More pics and text later. MKB
MKB

Post by MKB »

Stan, thanks for posting! Top pic shows 4 Faulk calls. Right to left, first is a wooden pintail, widgeon, greenwing teal call. It was sold as a pintail call. I drilled a hole, in the label area, to make the 3 note widgeon sound and if you partially covered the hole it can sound like a greenwing. Next is a cane (bamboo) call, one of Mr.Faulks early calls. I got this in 1970 and IMO is the best call to use. Next is a newer cane call used as a back up. Next is a non- Faulk cane call made in Gueydan, Louisiana, the self proclaimed duck capital of the world. This is unique because it is inscribed Chien Caille. This means Quail Dog in French. Duck dog would be Chien Canard. The next pic is with 6 Calls . Left to right, the brown plastic Duck Commander Bluewing call. Trick to this one is to NOT follow the directions on the back of the packaging. I will start with 1 slightly lower tone and slighter longer, then 6 shorter, higher tones as fast as I can with all 6 notes the same tone. If the teal appear to be skittish and are looking at meeting other ducks on the water, I blow the same as earlier except do 10 vs 6. if still a little uncertain of coming in then about half way through the next call , blow harder and a lot more excited. You may need to repeat this a few times. Then when they are about 75-100 yards out, blow a low, slower 3 note call.This is what a bluewing hen on the water will do. I think the teal are thinking they need to see what is making all that racket and come on in. The green and black plastic call is a PS OLT coyote/fox call. This can be tuned to sound as close to possible as a specklebelly goose. More pics and text later. MKB
MKB

Post by MKB »

Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Here's some more pictures of Kent's duck hunting. Perhaps he will narrate further on them.

And lastly, the myth, the man, the legend himself .......... Kent Barras (MKB)

Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Wow! Thanks for posting those great pictures.
MKB

Post by MKB »

Pics with the ducks on the cleaning board are in our marsh lease. All are full limits. The marsh is about 8 miles from the Gulf and 5 miles from Texas. The Sabine river separates Louisiana from Texas. We have an old houseboat at the mouth of a dead end canal, about 7 miles from the boat launch.They are a mix of teal, gray ducks, widgeons and a few pintails, black mallards and dos-gris (scaup). Not shown are gallinules and marsh hens (rails), because we eat them for breakfast or on the grill in the evening. The bluewing teal are all from my friends rice farm. All are full limits. The old geezer in last pic is on the levee we hunted that day. Where the decoys are is a little cleaner to be more inviting and visible. We usually use a dozen or so decoys and 2 mojo doves. Doves work a lot better! These were during the September teal season. I made the duck plucker in the late 70's. The fingers are original. Got them from a poultry supply house in Houston. Stan, thank you very much for posting the pics. MKB
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Very good! I love duck hunting, but clearly you are on an entirely different level than me. Kudos to you.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Kent is a great fellow and very helpful. Many years ago I posted a WTB ad for a particular McAlister brand camo shell bag that had been discontinued . I had one I had used duck hunting for years but it was getting threadbare. After a long and unfruitful search Kent saw my ad and came to my rescue. Everytime I use those bags I think of him and his kindness.

I've become friends with many people on this and another double gun forum, and I count Kent's friendship as special among them.
loggy

Post by loggy »

On a side note we sold Gates automotive belts. One of their other product was the rubber fingers used in plucking machines.
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Stan thanks so much for posting the pics.

Kent, you're living the life my friend. Louisiana is on my bucket list.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
MKB

Post by MKB »

Stan / Jeff, thanks for the kind words. / Stan, I feel the same on friendship. Loggy, thanks on the plucker finger history. Daryl, thanks for your kind words. I do feel I have been blessed. My wife and I have very recently moved to Reading, Pa. to be with our son/daughter and their families. My son and I are planning to get back home for the 16 day
sept. teal season each year. In the mean time I have shot clays at a couple of sporting clay clubs and located 2 more fairly close to Reading. Also plan on going to state game land for dove season. One of them plants wheat and sunflower just for doves. Also finding that the quail season has no limits???. told my son cause there probably aren't any quail!! Daryl, if you do go to La. I would concentrate on southwest La. in the coastal areas. Here are some in the gulf coast area. Bel"s Hackberry hunting lodge, Doug's hunting Lodge, Pecan Island West Hunt club, Bin There Hunting. Hackberry Rod and Gun. I have never hunted at Hunting clubs but I know friends and guides associated with some. All should have web sites. Y'all have a good day!
DarylC

Post by DarylC »

Thanks for the reply Kent. I'll certainly consider the outfitters you mentioned because the duck hunting here in Maryland is miserable.
Owning a Fox is not a spectator sport.
Fowlgunner

Post by Fowlgunner »

Kent thanks for the history lessons on the Louisiana calls.

I got my first taste of a Chien Caille (Pronounced Shane Ki) speck call calling in a contest against Mark Hundley a Pro Class Lab Trainer from Gueydan at the National Hunting Retriever convention in St. Louis years ago.

I immediately called Mr. Mervis and ordered 2.

Somehow, I got the translation as Spotted Dog but Quail makes more sense maybe.

Will