Sterlingworth recessed pin gun, slotted or smooth?

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Cat955

Sterlingworth recessed pin gun, slotted or smooth?

Post by Cat955 »

I have noticed there is a variation of the recessed pin (slotted and smooth) on the Sterlingworth Pin Guns in a relatively short period when they were available. Why were there two different styles?
Attachments
Sterlingworth smooth pin.jpeg
Sterlingworth slotted pin.jpeg
Researcher

Re: Sterlingworth recessed pin gun, slotted or smooth?

Post by Researcher »

It appears to me from the pictures I've saved, and the three that I have, that the early The Sterlingworth Co. guns in the 50xxx serial number range have smooth heads to the pin.
50471 TSC 1.jpg
By 50491 we begin seeing frames with the Ansley H. Fox pointed shape of the side-panel. I don't have any pictures of guns in the 51xxx range. By 52190 heads of the pin are slotted --
52190 02.jpg
52190 01 30-inch Poulin Nov 2021.jpg
Of course there are outliers. Serial number 50243 and 50248 have the pointed side panel, slotted heads and 50248 is marked STERLINGWORTH on the sides of the frame!!

In the low 53xxx range they change from The Sterlingworth Co. markings to A.H. Fox Gun Co. markings on the left barrel and just STERLINGWORTH on the sides of the frame.

In the high 589xx serial number range we begin seeing ejector guns and they have smooth heads to the hinge pin.
62126 02.jpg
62126 02.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 99 times
while the extractor guns continue to have slotted heads.
Share the knowledge
Cat955

Re: Sterlingworth recessed pin gun, slotted or smooth?

Post by Cat955 »

Thanks for pictures and serial number breakdown. Do we know the reason for different styles? The two most common reasons I have come across for any changes like this is money (cost effectiveness, easier to make) or improvement in the part. Thanks again for the background and dates!!!