Lefever SBT Gun

Use this forum to discuss other vintage guns
Foxnut

Lefever SBT Gun

Post by Foxnut »

Dr. Bob’s informative post on Lefever and SPE’s recent Lefever and Lefever & Nichols post got me thinking about my Lefever SBT #57. It is a plain/unadorned SBT with only the Maker’s mark and address stamped on each side of the frame. This gun was found in an estate in Findlay, OH about 15 - 20 years ago. Findlay is about 30 miles due South of Bowling Green where the gun was manufactured.

The gentleman that I acquired the gun from had it refinished/restored by Brad Bacheldor prior to me acquiring it. All metal and wood is original to the gun. Of note is Frank Lefever moved to Wheeling/Moundsville, WV sometime in 1906 after D.M. Lefever folded shop in Bowling Green to become Superintendent of that business. Obviously Frank took the trap gun patent (and who knows if parts/unfinished guns) with him as this is the basis for the Three Barrel Gun Co./Royal Arms Co. SBT guns.
IMG_7208.jpeg
IMG_7209.jpeg
IMG_7210.jpeg
IMG_7211.jpeg
IMG_7214.jpeg
Regards - Foxnut
SPE33

Re: Lefever SBT Gun

Post by SPE33 »

Sweet....Have you had the opportunity to try it out?
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

SPE33 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:28 pm Sweet....Have you had the opportunity to try it out?
Joe,
I have never shot this gun. It has a 30” barrel w/a fairly open choke so not sure if it was originally 30” F and opened up or if it was a 32” gun
Regards - Foxnut
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

A Three Barrel Gun Co. B-Grade and my Royal Gun Co. A-Grade are pictured in Part II of my article on pages 78 & 79 of The Double Gun Journal, Volume Thirteen, Issue 3.
Share the knowledge
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Researcher wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:11 pm A Three Barrel Gun Co. B-Grade and my Royal Gun Co. A-Grade are pictured in Part II of my article on pages 78 & 79 of The Double Gun Journal, Volume Thirteen, Issue 3.
I have read, re-read, and re-read that article several times. Now we just need to add a C Grade next to them!!!!
Regards - Foxnut
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I once had a C-Grade in my hands at the Syracuse, NY, show at the fairgrounds. It was in the rack on mumblin' Gary's tables. After looking at it and noting the forearm wood was cracked I sat it back in the rack to think about it, an arm reached in front of me and picked it up and never put it back!!!
Share the knowledge