1933 Fox

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
RickJames

1933 Fox

Post by RickJames »

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum and I appreciate all the knowledge y’all share here. I have an opportunity to buy a Fox 16 gauge with 26 in barrels, I have not traveled to see the gun yet and so I have only seen pics- which look decent enough to me… blueing and wood look good
The seller says that the gun was made in 1933 which I believe would make it a Savage gun. The serial number is 364101 and matches on the forearm, barrels, and action. My main question is was it normal for Savage guns to be built with barrels that were stamped “Made by A.H. Fox Gun Co. Phila. Pa. U.S.A. ?
Thanks, Rick
ROMAC

Re: 1933 Fox

Post by ROMAC »

A lot of guns in the transition years were shipped during the Savage era but were made from Philadelphia parts.

There's a good chance that is what you have there but without seeing the gun you never know.

Also, as far as where he got the date from, the date list that is available on the internet is notoriously inaccurate based upon letters and cards that people have gotten on graded Foxes.
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

That is 1500 serial numbers lower than the lowest Savage Fox-Sterlingworth I've recorded so far. Generally I've recorded Philadelphia 16-gauge Sterlingworths up through 366666 and beginning with 367024 Utica Fox-Sterlingworths. How is the gun marked on the sides of the frame? Sterlingworth or Fox-Sterlingworth?
Share the knowledge
RickJames

Post by RickJames »

Just Sterlingworth on the sides
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Rick, welcome to the world of Fox shotguns. A 16 ga. with 26” barrels should be a delight to carry afield. Hopefully it left the factory with 26” barrels (once in a while you’ll find one with cut barrels) 🤞 I hope it works out. You’ll love it.
RickJames

Post by RickJames »

Here are the pics of the gun

I realize it’s difficult to tell a lot from just pictures but assuming good mechanical condition, Any ideas on what a gun like this should be valued at?
Thanks, Rick
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Last pic is a different gun. Looks to me like a Philly made Sterly. Silver gun in decent condition. Value imo anywhere from 1100 to 1400. 26 inch barrels hurt it based on what folks currently want. I would want to make sure the barrels were not cut.

A dealer would most likely ask for more then what I mentioned above.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Looks like a pure Philadelphia gun from the late 1920s to me. Just scanning Guns International asking prices for 16-gauge Sterlingworths go from $1450 on up. For one fairly minty one the dealer is asking eight grand!!
Share the knowledge
RickJames

Post by RickJames »

Thanks for the responses! I will definitely take this info into consideration when I make him an offer.
Thanks, Rick